Chapter Seventeen - Illumination

There was no cure for stupidity, and that Saki knew without a doubt

As she sat through Garak's silent motions of medical aid, she was reminded of several things that had gone astray within the very depths of her mind.

She was not meant to coexist with others; Gazelt Garak was an exception.

She did not have the mentality to smile at others, nor did she have the will to help them unless it were part of her assigned job.

And finally, she was reminded whole-heartedly of the lack of care she had for most humans.

She could pity them of course, feel some kind of shallow and pointless thoughts upon their circumstances if it happened to be particularly "sad". However beyond that, Saki scarcely cared if they suffered or thrived through life. Whether they lived or died wouldn't truly matter to her, except for perhaps Garak, whom she had gotten close enough with to share the occasional drink in her office while she'd been working as a maid.

Saki realized as she sat there, keeping a straight face as Garak sewed the teeth-punctures in her arms shut, that she had receded to a state of stupidity she felt more suited the humans she was forced to coexist with in order to maintain access to the medicines and draughts she required. It was stupidity that had her heed the whims of a human child who would otherwise die if she hadn't been rescued from that cabin. It was stupidity that had her poison herself in order to spare the wolves, who may not have even survived the night.

And it was stupidity still that Saki was sitting there, glowering over her predicament, listening to Lirae recite every little piece of information she retained to Shirayuki downstairs.

While there was no cure for stupidity, Saki was more than willing to hope that there was an antidote to halt its worsening. And she was more than willing to grasp for it, no matter how vain or stubborn her intentions were.

Perhaps that was why Saki had paid exceedingly close attention when she heard Garak mention the presence of bandits in the forests surrounding Wistal, and how she suspected their arrival was due to the worsening forest conditions. And in a twisted way, Saki felt she may have found her first dose of antidote to this human sickness called stupidity. To escort the bandits out of the area with a bit of brute force was something that may give her that reprieve from stupidity she really needed.

Saki was no Saint.

And she certainly was not nice, either.

While not the figure of misfortune and pittance that the townsfolk often called her, Saki certainly couldn't deny that she had certain sins on her hands.

But there was not a soul in the world that had never sinned.

In the end, Saki handed over her observational work, soil samples and secondary map before bidding Garak a silent farewell, given the tattered state of her throat's lining.