Chapter Four - Viridian

Saki's thoughts came in broken questions and spiralling disarray as she stood there before Garak Gazelt's desk, awaiting the woman's return after she had been summoned to tend to a sudden call for assistance

The twenty phials of samples she had gathered from the various locations throughout Clarines sat neatly aligned in sequential order next to the ammended map she had used to guide her from location to location.

The phials all looked moderately similar with their viridian hues, heart-shaped leaves and rich earthen soil, all except for the last two.

The unpleasant residue, while appearing a dull charcoal hue against the blades of grass, was now tinted an unpleasant purple along the edges of green where the residue had yet to cover. It was possible that the natural afternoon light overshadowed the purple edging, but at that moment, Saki was positive that there was something very wrong.

Saki hesitated to consider just how dangerous such an unusual and unknown residue could be, especially if consumed by humans in some shape or form.

Animals bore more instinctive, and possibly intuitive nature's to humans who shunned what was unfavorable to sate the immediate preferences. That was why she was certain that the bears and other predators had left their kills untouched. If her hunch was right, Saki suspected that the residues likely toxicity could be detected in the blood by the predators, and the merest taste was all they needed to back off and try a different prey.

If human hunters had failed to notice the sickness of the woods and taken kills that had feasted upon the residue-ridden flora, then there was no telling how many people out there were infected.

And there was no telling if anyone had become ill and died.

Saki got the feeling however that that this was a very dangerous situation she had stumbled upon.

Saki's ears picked up on the sounds of a door opening downstairs, followed by the sounds of feet on polished wood floors. Multiple pairs of feet, and Saki felt her brow furrow more as her impatience began to sink in on her.

'Sorry Shirayuki, I really should go see to Akazawa's findings.' Came Garak's muffled voice from downstairs. 'It looked important, so I shouldn't keep her waiting too much longer.'

'O-oh, of course! I didn't mean to hold you up.' Came the melodious voice of the girl from the city gate, causing Saki to almost curse beneath her breath.

Ah, so she was Shirayuki.

'You didn't, but that large order I had Ryuu and yourself complete, can you package it up so it can be collected? Just leave it on the table next to the door once you're done.'

'Right away!' Shirayuki responded.

And with that, Garak's footfalls came up the stairs, bringing Saki to let out the heavy breath she had been holding onto.