Chapter 88

"I second that, go on Lauren tell her." Jace smiles and takes a drink of beer.

"I.. I will tell you outside." Lauren says. Her voice low. 

Everything is happening too fast for me to comprehend the look in her eyes. I don't know what is going on but I do know I don't want to go anywhere with her.

"No, you tell me here. In front of them so you can't lie." I spit. My heart is already aching and I know that I am not prepared for whatever she is getting ready to tell me.

"I'm sorry." She blurts and holds her hands out in front of her.

"Camila, you have to remember that this was way before I even knew you." She says. Her eyes begging for mercy. 

"Tell me." I say, barely opening my mouth. I don't trust my voice.

"That night.. that second night.. the second party you came to when we played truth or dare.. and Noah asked if you were a virgin.." she stammers and closes her eyes as if to gather her thoughts.

Oh no. If it was possible for my heart to sink even lower it would have. This isn't happening. This can't be happening. Not right now. Not to me. 

"Go on." Jace says. Lauren shoots him daggers and I know that if Lauren wasn't in the middle of single handedly destroying our relationship, she would kill him on the spot.

"You said you were.. and that gave someone an idea.." 

"Gave who the idea?" Molly interrupts.

"Me, gave me the idea." She says. Her eyes never leaving mine. She only answered her question for my sake. 

"That.. it could be fun to make .. to make a bet." Her head falls and tears pour from my eyes.

"No." I choke and take a step backwards.

I am heartbroken and completely destroyed. All of the memories flooding through me pile and piece together.  

"Stay away from her."  

"Be careful." 

"Sometimes you think you know people but you don't."   

"But Camila, I need to tell you something."   

All of the small remarks that were made by Molly, Jace, and even Lauren herself play over and over. There was always something in the back of my mind, a feeling that I was missing something.

All of the air seems to be sucked out of the small room and I find myself almost gasping for air as the reality of all of this sets in. There were so many clues, I just was too blinded by Lauren to see them.

Why would she take it this far? To have me live with her?

"You knew?" I turn to Lucy, I can't manage to look at Lauren any longer. 

"I..I was going to tell you so many times Mila." She says, her eyes brimming with guilty tears.

"I didn't believe it when she claimed she won." Jace snickers, obviously enjoying the show.

"Right! Me either, the sheets though I mean how can you deny blood on the sheets." She laughs.

The sheets. That's why they were still in her car. I know I should be saying something, anything, but I can't find my voice, everything is still moving around me, people in the bar are eating and drinking, not noticing the naïve girl ten feet away from them having her heart shattered in front of a crowd. How is it possible that time still moves as I stand here watching Tristan bow his head, watch Lucy cry, and most of all watch Lauren watch me.