Coming home

Maya POV:
I pull up into my driveway, I'm still not sure how I'm going to explain any of this to my mom. I can't tell her about Zoey, not yet, she's already so overwhelmed, I wouldn't wanna introduce her to another giant just yet. I take a deep breath and open the front door. Inside my mom is sitting on the couch, playing on her phone, but immediately brings her attention to me when I walk in. She stands up and says "Maya! You can't just leave without telling me!"
" Didn't Olivia tell you that I was dropping her off at the Mall?" I say with irritation in my voice. "No. She didn't. But that's not what I'm irritated about, why did you lock your door?" I look over to my room and see that my door is open, my heart sinks thinking about my mom discovering Zoey. " Does it matter? Why do you care if I lock my door? I don't have anything bad in there, as you know since you've clearly been snooping around in there!" I say, glaring at her. I don't understand why my mom is mad at me, I really don't have anything in there that she would be mad about. She frowns slightly, "sorry for going in your room, I know you're a good kid, I just worry." " It's okay," I say with slight annoyance in my voice. I try to sneak away, but she embraces me before I can get too far and apologizes again. After a few seconds, I pull away, anxious to get to my room and check on Zoey. She smiles and walks back to the couch, giving me my chance to escape to my room.

Zoey POV:
I leave my hard plastic bed curled up in a ball, I'm still shaken up by what just happened with Maya's mom. I try not to think about the open door and the possibility that that stupid cat could come in here and attack me at any second. Suddenly I hear Maya's dog go ballistic and cover my ears. Someone must be home and I hope it's Maya, or I could still be in trouble. I hear Maya's voice and breathe a sigh of relief. Then I hear the two giants burst into an argument. This goes on for a couple of minutes. I feel so bad because Maya's mom is mad at her and it's all my fault, none of this would be happening if I weren't here. The argument dies down and I hear loud footsteps approaching, I silently wait, hoping that they belong to Maya. I hear the door click shut, the footsteps becoming even louder. The closet door slides open and I jolt back when Maya's face appears suddenly in the window, but am relieved that it's her. She sighs, blowing my hair back slightly. " Thank god you're okay! I was so worried that my mom had found you or that one of the pets had gotten to you." She says smiling. Her expression quickly forms into a frown as she stares down at my face. I had clearly been crying, as my eyes were all red and puffy. "Are you okay? Did something happen while I was gone?" She says with concern in her voice. I quickly try to perk up to mask my distress. "I'm fine, really!" I say with a shaky smile. She doesn't seem quite convinced, but decides to stop asking me about it, responding with a simple "okay." She silently stares at me, making me uncomfortable, before finally saying "do you want something to eat? It's about lunchtime." I was feeling kind of hungry, so I nod. "Okay! I'll be right back!" She says as she stands up to her full height and quickly exits the room. I stare down from my window at her massive feet as they stomp away, shuddering at the reminder of my near-death experience with Tracy. I lean back letting my head hit the backboard. I want to tell Maya about what happened so that she can reassure me, but I also don't want her scolding me for leaving the closet.

Maya POV:
I walk out into the kitchen to get us some lunch. I'm worried about Zoey, she looked upset but I don't think she was comfortable enough to tell me what about. I really wish she would trust me more, but I understand that she's still getting used to her new situation. I grab two slices of bread and start making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. When I finish, I cut out a small piece for Zoey. I feel bad that I don't have better-preportioned food for her, but this is all an adjustment for me too. Just as I'm about to go back to my room, my mom walks into the kitchen. "That's a weird way to cut your sandwich, usually I just cut mine into triangles, but I guess to each their own," she says mockingly. "Oh, there was some mold on the bread and I didn't feel like remaking the whole sandwich so I just cut that piece off" I badly lie. She gives me a look of disgust and shrugs it off before walking away. Relieved that my lie worked, I triumphantly walk back to my room. I walk in and carefully close the door behind me, being sure not to slam it. I set the plate on the floor and kneel down to look into the window, I see Zoey jolt a little when she notices me staring at her. I really need to work on not sneaking up on her, I would do the same thing if I saw someones giant eyes suddenly staring at me. "Hey, I brought you a PB&J, I hope that's okay." Zoey gives me a silent nod in response. I give her a slight smile. " So...do you want to go eat on my bed? Or else you can eat alone that's fine too!"

Zoey POV:

I look up and see Maya staring down at me through the window again, I jolt back a little and Maya's expression softens in response. I wish I didn't do that, I don't want Maya thinking I'm terrified of her, although she does intimidate me, I just can't help but react this way. She asks me where I want to eat, and honestly, I'm not sure. As much as I'd like to stay and eat by myself, I'm also scared of being on my own. I feel like I need Maya's protection right now because let's face it, I'm pretty helpless on my own, I learned that the hard way. "We can go eat on your bed!" "Okay! Great!" Maya says happily, laying her hand on the floor outside my front door.