Panic

Maya's POV:
I can't believe what I'm seeing. Normal Zoey is in a picture taken today. The lack of news about her disappearance is starting to make sense. This can't be? I mean, Zoey is sitting right here in front of me. As I'm trying to process all of this, I start to feel Zoey shaking in my hand. She looks petrified. I try to reach out and comfort her, but she doesn't even seem to be here. She's just staring down blankly at her hands. "Hey, Zoey? Are you okay?" I say softly. She doesn't respond or even indicate that she's listening to me. I wave my hand in front of her face and she snaps out of it for a moment, looking up at me in silence. I feel awful for her. She's clearly not taking this news well, understandably. "It'll be okay Zoey!" I try to assure her. "We'll figure this out, okay? Everything's going to be fine." I say tenderly. She still doesn't really seem to be listening to me. Her breathing is ragged. "Zoey, I think you're having a panic attack. Just breath for me, okay?" I say, lightly touching her arm. She still seems spaced out. I poke her to try and snap her out of it, but she doesn't react. Suddenly, her breathing gets shallow and she passes out in my hand. "Shit!" I yell out. "Ahh, wake up Zoey!" I yell as I shake my hand lightly. When this doesn't work, I get up in a panic and rush to the bathroom. I run some cold water on my fingers and lightly dab some on her face.
This seems to do the trick and she wakes up almost instantly. She takes a sharp breath in and seems disoriented. I myself try to calm down. "Oh thank god! You had me worried there for a second Zoe" I say with relief. She looks around in confusion.

Zoey POV:
I wake up once again to my head pounding. Maya is staring down at me with a bewildered expression. I feel very confused. I must have passed out, a feeling that has become all too familiar to me. I feel more foggy than usual though. I guess it's probably not good for me to pass out more than once in a day. I hold my hand on my head and look at Maya. "What happened?" I ask weakly. She looks a little shocked when I ask this. "You mean... you don't remember why you passed out?" She says with genuine confusion. I try to think, but the memory is too fuzzy. All I can remember is Maya taking me home from Noel's house. "No...I can't remember a thing..." I say with disappointment. Maya seems to ponder something for a moment. She then looks sadly at me and takes in a deep breath, which worries me a little about what she's going to tell me.
"Okay, try not to freak out this time...." she says slowly and cautiously. "But from my understanding... Your normal-sized self is still out there." She says quickly and nervously. Everything comes flooding back to me all at once and I get a jolt of anxiety. This time, however, I'm able to somewhat process the situation. I think about my old life. The one that I probably won't ever get to go back to because I'm already there. I start sobbing uncontrollably. I feel so pathetic and puny crying in Maya's presence. Suddenly, I feel Maya's giant finger gently wipe the tears off my cheek. "It's okay! Everything is going to be fine!" Maya says gently. This well-meaning comment strikes a bit of a nerve with me. "No! Everything won't be fine! I'm...I'm going to be stuck like this forever!" I say between sobs.

Maya POV:
I feel horrible that Zoey is going through this. There's no way that I can truly help her. I wish I knew why or how this whole thing happened, but this only adds to the confusion. My heart hurts watching her break down like this.
"Listen, I know you're going through a lot right now, but please don't give up hope. Alright? I might not be a scientist, but I promise you that I won't stop trying to help you figure this out." I say, confidently. Zoey sniffles and collects herself. I then feel her hug my thumb tightly, which causes me to smile. "You're always welcome to stay with me" I say as I gently stroke her hair. I try to contain my joy as I feel her snuggle into my finger. I see her let out a yawn, which causes me to yawn too.
"Hey, today's been a long day. What do you say we go to bed?" I say sleepily.
She nods silently, clearly exhausted by the day's events. I go to drop her off at her dollhouse when I hear her murmur something. "What was that you said?" I ask in a whisper.
"Can I sleep with you tonight?" She asks timidly. I am slightly shocked by this considering what happened last time we attempted this. "But... I almost crushed you last time we fell asleep together.." I say sadly. I hate being reminded of all the time Zoey has suffered because of me.
"I..I just don't want to be alone tonight..." she says giving me puppy dog eyes. I smile at her cuteness. The idea of trying this again makes me nervous, but I mean, how could anyone say "no" to that face?
"Alright, if you're sure that you're fine with it, then, of course, you can sleep in my bed. Maybe just don't sleep directly on me this time?" I say, trying to push away any thoughts of disaster. She perks up immediately with excitement. "Yes, it'll be fine!" She tries to assure me.

Zoey POV:
Maya takes me with her to bed. Today has been a lot. I have a lot to think about, but for now, I'm exhausted. I can't help but feel comforted by Maya's touch and her soothing words. I'm so thankful that she's who I ended up in this situation with.
Maya sets me down on her pillow and then climbs into bed. I can tell she's trying to be slow and graceful, but it still feels like an earthquake on my end. It's the thought that counts I guess.
She then lays her head down next to me. I can feel her eyes on me. I'm so tired, yet I feel restless as I toss and turn thinking about the day's events. "Hey, everything is going to be fine" she says in a gentle whisper. She then surprises me by giving me a light kiss on the head. This fills me with butterflies and causes me to smile uncontrollably. I drift off to sleep feeling comforted and protected.