Chapter 21

I struggle as two guards that I haven't seen yet as they drag me, kicking and screaming, to where Liz, Uncle Andy, and Jackson stand. Julia doesn't struggle as much as I do, but I can tell that she wants to escape just as much as I do.

            I hear a rip and I stop struggling. Suddenly I realize that I am still wearing the dress from the dance. It was dirty and destroyed. I was also still wearing the heels from the dance. I only kept them on because of the fact that they could be very good weapons if the time came.

            "So, what do we have here? Sammy and her new friend, Julia. It's too sad that you never got the opportunity to escape. That was your goal, wasn't it?" Jackson taunts me like I'm a disobedient dog. He had no idea how much I wanted to rip his throat out right now, did he?

            "You traitor! The agency trusted you!" I scream at him. He just smiles and nods, expecting this answer from me.

            "Then it's too bad that you're wrong. The agency still trusts me, and they always will. Our other leader is very high up in the chain of command of the UIA. She would never allow suspicion to land on either of us." He chuckles at the end.

            I'm guessing that I did a very poor job of hiding the shock on my face. They still had another agent in the heart of the agency. I turned away and made sure that they couldn't see the despair in my eyes. Even if I was able to stop them today, they would live on. Their mission would continue as soon as the other leader of Cobra got word that they failed. Even if I succeed now, I'll have to find the other agent before it's too late.

            "Ahh, keep your gaze over here Sam. You'll need to see this." Uncle Andy says. The guard forces me to look back at my former friends. I saw that Liz was talking to a guard. The guard she talked to left in a hurry along with another guard. Andy was standing by the wall of screens that displayed long lists of numbers and codes. Jackson was looking me in the eye, giving me the challenging look that I often saw him give the enemy. It was unnerving to be on the wrong side of that look.

            Liz walked back over to Jackson and put her arm around his shoulder. Of course they were dating. She gave me a smug look and I realized that she thought I had liked Jackson. She was only doing this to get a reaction out of me, wasn't she? Well she was getting one. They could hang on each other all they wanted to.

            They were partners in crime now, right?

            "Do you know what these numbers mean?" Uncle Andy asks me.

            "Yes. They're part of the codes to the missiles. All you need is my activation code and you've got all of the activation codes. I guess that you broke the others, but you'll never break me. You'll never make me talk to the likes of you." I spit that last part at him.

            "We'll see about that." Liz smiled wickedly at me.

            "Now now, you don't want to reveal the surprise too early, do you?" Andy stops her.