Chapter 14

I sighed for what felt like the hundredths time since I came to this school. I was currently in AP chemistry, which I shared with most of the popular kids and most of the smart ones. The parents of the popular kids seemed to enroll them in all AP classes, which I did not understand. These kids weren’t going to go into any profession that needed them to take AP classes. Most of the popular kids would end up house wives, drunks, or fast food workers. The smart kids were however the only ones who actually cared about getting a good grade in this class. That is why this teacher hated me and ‘friends’.

            “Today we will finish our experiment that we started yesterday. Everyone please put on your goggles and gloves. If your partner doesn’t understand the instructions, I’m talking to you Max and Jonathon, please help them.” The class laughed at them as they blushed. I liked Mrs. Spellman because she wasn’t afraid to debunk the popular kids.

            “Alright, so do you want me to do the whole thing? I understand if you don’t know what we are doing.” Simon offers. It was sad that he immediately expected all the popular kids to make him do all the work.

            “No, I want to help. I understand more than you know.” Yeah, I know a lot more than he would think.

            “Oh, okay.” He said in a low and surprised tone.

            “So, how’s it going between you and Max?” I whisper to him. He blushes and looks down, preparing the materials we needed for today’s experiment.

            “Good.”

I push him in the arm in a playful gesture, “I meant, have you guy’s gotten over the whole ‘someone knows about us’ thing.” I whisper.

“You actually aren’t the only one who knows. But the way you found out was quite surprising to all of us, wasn’t it? She found out after she walked in on us, just like you. I’m surprised that she was as calm about the whole situation as you were.” He whispers with amusement in his voice.

“Wait, who else knows? I thought I was the only one.” I say as I started to write down the answers to the starter questions on our sheet. We had to answer all the questions before we were trusted to handle the chemicals.

“Julia.” He states, writing down his answers as well.

“What? You’re kidding!” I say just a little too loud. Lauren and Angie at the next table looked up after I said that. Oh, time for cover-up duty. “How, could you do that? The paper clearly says the orangey looking one.” I say in my fake squeaky voice. Lauren and Angie laugh and comment on Simons ‘mistake’.

“Wow, what an idiot.”

“I know right.”

Simon sulks even lower in his chair. I remember how Julia says that he got debunked from popular status, Lauren broke up with him. He must feel awful whenever she says mean things to him. Now I feel really awful. “Simon,” I say in a quieter voice this time, “I’m sorry about that, but they don’t know that we are friends.”