Chapter 22

"Lucifer!" I screamed through the bars, trying to see where he was. The entire white room was filled with bursts of light and yelling but the angels were moving too fast for me to follow.

"Charlie!" I saw Lucifer a few feet away. I reached for him through the bars but just as he was about to reach me, Macayah grabbed him and threw him against the wall.

"No!" I yelled, reaching through the bars. Macayah had him around the neck and was choking him. Lucifer scrambled to try to push him off but couldn't.

"I suggest you all stop or this will become much more unpleasant," Macayah threatened. The other warriors stopped and looked, estimating what they could do before Macayah hurt Lucifer.

The largest of them, a muscular angel with shoulder length golden hair, lunged at Macayah but not before Macayah snapped his fingers.

The room went dark and I stifled a scream. Then, the screams started.

"Macayah, no! Please, oh God, no!" I screamed, tears running down my cheeks. "Leave them alone!"

I didn't know what was happening but I heard Lucifer's screams mixed in. My heart hurt so much hearing it.

"Macayah!" I screamed, louder than I knew possible Then, I tried to pull myself together. I realized, I was fucking pissed. "Alright, you bastard. You wanna play? Let's play."

I crawled to the center of the cage and sat up on my knees. The screams continued on but I shut them out, trying to focus. I breathed in, deeply. I closed my eyes and I knew what I needed to do. I tapped into my rage, frustration, fear, and hurt. I wielded it as a weapon, a weapon of the mind.

A light shot out of every pore in my body, ten times what it had been before. I screamed as it happened, letting the light consume me. The darkness was blown back, and Macayah was blown back against the wall, his screams replacing the ones from the angel's moments ago.

I fell forward, breathing hard. I looked up, still trying to catch my breathe. My eyes met Lucifer's, who looked amazed. Then, he smiled at me.

"That's my girl."

***

The cage door was blown off. Charlie was badass. As soon as I got my breath, I ran into the cage she was in. I swooped her up and held her against me, crying into her hair. I couldn't hold her tight enough. 

"Luke, ouch." Charlie said, muffled against my chest.

"Oh, sorry." I loosened up on her, but not too much. I carried her out if the cage, bridal style. She clung to my chest, her hands shaking slightly. My arms tightened.

I walked over to where Michael was helping Uriel up. Michael looked up at me, the smirk he always has after a battle. "Bro, she's badass."

I chuckled and nodded. "I know." I agreed, smiling down at her. She smiled weakly up at me and my stomach fluttered.

"Oh, shit." Michael said, pointing to where Macayah was laying just moments ago, "the bastard's gone."

"At this point, I don't care. I'll find him, eventually." I said, cradling Charlie close to me.

"We got to get her home. We'll look around for Macayah, just in case. I think she may have hurt herself." Gabriel nodded his head towards Charlie. He was right, Charile was already passed out and she looked weak. Too weak.

"Meet you back at the office?" I rushed, looking up at the angels.  The boys nodded and I thought of the office.

"Oh thank goodness." God fretted, rushing over to me. "I'm so glad she's okay."

"She saved us," I explained, "She lost a lot of energy, I don't know if she's okay. She's weak"

"Give her to me," God insisted, pulling her into his arms, "you must give her space. You're correct, she's weak. I'll see what I can do."

I nodded and sat on a couch, watching as God pulled her into another room. This was all my fault. She would have never been in this situation if I hadn't gotten involved. She'd be with the angels, in heaven. I held my head in my hands, feeling the sobs wrack my body.

I knew the hardest part was yet to come. The part where I had to say goodbye to the girl I loved.