Chapter 4

My breath caught as she smiled and waved at me. I was angry, yet giddy. Angry because she was here. In a hospital.

I slipped into the hospital and walked into a men's restroom. I snapped my fingers and immediately I changed into a flower-delivery boy outfit. I went to the flower store, "told" (as in hypnotized) the lady I would be working for her now, and bought a beautiful bouquet of white roses. I grabbed them, got Charlotte's room number, and stood walked into the elevator.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. My heart was already racing from just her smile. Was this really happening? I promise, I'm a cold person. Yeah, I cared about things. I never tortured the Souls. But then again, I also never treated them with respect. And now I was getting sweaty palms from a sick girl who smiled weakly at me?

The doors open and I walked out of the elevator right into a man. He was very tired looking and he had brown hair. I knew, from my research, that he was Pat, Charlotte's stepfather. And her mother was in heaven. I had looked for her actual father in heaven but couldn't find him. That's actually common, I mean there are a shit ton of people in heaven.

"Sorry," Pat grumbled as he stepped into the elevator. I just nodded at him and walked down the hallway, in search of the room number. I finally found it. 666. Ha, how ironic.

I walked in to find a beautiful girl laying in the bed. Her sea green eyes were focused on a book. Although her skin was pale and her face shrunken, she was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen. My breath caught and I stared at her for a good minute or two. She must have sensed me staring because she looked up to see me. She smiled at me and let me tell you, it took every part of me not to fall backwards.

"Hello, mystery boy," said the girl.

"Uh, hello," I managed to stutter, "are you Charlotte?"

"Please call me Charlie. Are those for me? They're beautiful!" she said, as she smiled at the flowers. God, her smile. I could stare at it for an eternity.

STOP THINKING LIKE THAT.

"Who're they from?" she asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Uh, anonymous." I grumbled. She gave me a suspicious look as I set the flowers on the table next to her bedside. I turned to walk out.

"Excuse me, what's your name?" she said, causing me to turn around once more.

"Uh, L-Luke." I stuttered. Lucifer was a name that marked me.

"Luke," she said as she smiled, "would you please stay and talk with me?"

I stared at her, dumbfounded.

"Uh, sure" I said as I sat at the chair next to her.

"I'm sorry, I don't get to talk to many people my age. It's really lonely here." she whispered. She must've been embarrassed.

I took her hand so that I could comfort her and I immediately regretted it. Shocks and fireworks and fire and light all went through me at once. It was like we were completing an electrical current designed for only us. Believe me, as I write this I want to gag too. But that's honestly what it felt like. I quickly jumped back and so did she. She stared at me like I had two heads.

"What the hell was that!?" Charlie said to me.

"I don't know." I said looking at my hand and then her. I quickly got up and rushed out of the room. I leaned against the hallway outside.

What. Was. That. Does that normally happen? Just because technically she was my soulmate? It hurt like a bitch.

But somewhere deep inside me, the devil came out. I wanted more fire.

***

I breathed hard after he had touched me. That...was...incredible. I felt so good. He had left and for some reason it felt like he had take a piece of me with him. Who was he? I'd never seen him around my tiny town? I prayed that I would see him again.

My dad had left to go do something. Although he was an amazing father and tried very hard for me, he hated hospitals. I know he did and I didn't blame him.

No matter what I did, my mind kept straying to Luke. How his blue eyes looked as though they were staring into my soul, like he possessed it. I shivered and sighed. 

Hey God, it's me, Charlotte. Please, let me see him again.