Chapter 12

I woke up early and climbed out of bed. I had never slept so horribly in my life. Knowing that Charlie was in the room right next to me and I couldn't do anything about it, couldn't hold her, killed me. I sighed and trudged out of bed, knowing I had a shit ton of work to do. I showered and threw on dark jeans and a grey t-shirt. My wet hair clung to my forehead as I tied on my sneakers.

I walked in the kitchen to see Charlie sitting at the table, drinking coffee, and wearing only a big sweatshirt. I think I needed another cold shower.

"Hey," Charlie said simply.

"Hey. Nice sweatshirt," I gulped, pouring myself a cup and sitting across from her. I attempted to stay calm.

"Thanks. I would have made breakfast but I can't cook for shit," Charlie laughed.

I laughed, too. "That's okay." I snapped my fingers and a huge breakfast was laid out for both of us. I grabbed a piece of toast and started spreading butter on it.

"Holy shit!" Charlie exclaimed, standing up.

"Oh, sorry, I forget that's not normal," I admitted. 

Charlie looks at me oddly. "Devil perks?"

I shrug and nod. I finish my toast just as she sits down to eat. "I have to get some work done, I'm sorry.  I'll have to leave you here. I'll be back in a couple hours. I want to show you something before I go."

She nods and finishes chewing her eggs. "Okay, what?"

"Come on," I smile at her. "You have to close your eyes, though."

"Luke, if you make me run into anything, I'll kick your ass," Charlie threatens.

I laugh. "Good to know."

I take her hand and she closes her eyes. The currents running up my arm gives me chills. She's biting her lip and smiling and I swear to god I just want to love her.

I lead her down the hallway.

"I thought this was an apartment?" Charlie questions.

"Apartment, mansion, whatever you wanna call it," I respond. "Okay, wait here."

I open the doors, covering her eyes with my hand so she won't peek. 

"Luke, hurry!" Charlie insisted, giggling.

I laugh. "Okay, bossy." I remove my hand and Charlie's jaw drops.

***

"Oh. My. God." I squeal. It's an enormous library, larger than I've ever seen. Every square inch is covered in books, enormous spiral staircases leading up to more books, opening into a massive skylight, with the sun shining down. I feel myself tear up. "Luke, it's beautiful." I turn and pull him into a massive embrace. He laughs and wraps his arms around me.

"I've never had any use for it but I knew you'd love it."

I smile up at him, still in his arms. "I love it so much.'

Luke smiles at me and I smile at him and wait for him to kiss me. He looks at my lips and I close my eyes and he... pulls away. He clears his throat and suddenly looks everywhere except for at me. His eyes look oddly pained.

"Well, I better go. I'll see you later," Luke struts out without looking back at me. 

I stand there, holding my arm across my body, confused as hell. Before I, well before I died, Luke and I were fine. And I know that he felt romantic feelings for me. Or at least I thought he did. But he kissed me, why would he do that if he didn't like me? Now he's friend zoning me? I walk into the library and search for a book, unable to get Luke out of my mind. Maybe he really is an asshole and was messing with me. I feel doubt creeping into my mind. I decide maybe I should tell him that I can't stay here. Not if I'm not sure how we feel. Not if this whole relationship will constantly be maybes and avoidance.

For someone that's supposed to be the devil, Luke is as confusing as a teenage boy.

***

I walk back to my office, thoughts of Charlie's lips on my mind. I knew I acted like a jackass. I remind myself why I was doing this. To help her. I hate myself.

"Any new messages, Veronica?" I asked as I walk pass her. 

"There's someone waiting in your office." She grumbled, not looking up from the computer.

I walked up to my office doors and walked inside. There was no one there.

"Hello?" I said into the darkness.

"Hello, little one." came a chilling voice.

"Who are you?" I asked as I slowly walked into the office.

"An old friend. I need something from you, Lucifer." The voice said. It sounded as though it were coming from all sides and I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from.

"I'm not helping you until you tell me who you are." I growled. The voice laughed, a deep hair-raising laugh.

"Oh, how naive you are. All you must do is give me the girl," the voice mused.

"Charlie? Not even in hell." I snapped, baring my teeth. "Who are you?!"

"Ooooh, a game of Who Am I! This is going to be fun!" He taunted. "Okay, first clue. I am an outcast. I was rudely exiled by Him." I stayed silent, confused by this odd exchange. "Nothing? Hmm. I am an angel. My exile was unfair and cruel and I've returned for my revenge," the voice slithered, as it began to grow louder and come closer.

Then it hit me. "It can't be..." I whispered, not believing it.

"Oh, but it is." Said the voice as it cackled right behind me. I lashed out but only struck air. "Can you guess who I am?"

"Macayah."

***

VOTE! Please?

COMMENT! I wanna hear what you think!

Love you all and thanks for all the reads!

reillygrealis