Chapter 11: Hangin' Downtown Chicago

It was March 13 and that day was unsually warm, the temperature was 70 degrees and Abby asked her kids if they wanted to head downtown chicago and they agreed, the three were at the Cumberland train station on the Chicago Transit Authority's Blue Line waiting for the Metra train to take them downtown as the time was 10:02 am.

"I'm glad we planned this." Abby said.

"Me too." Spencer agreed.

"Me three." Vivi added, then a minute later, the Blue Line train arrived at the station, they boarded and took their seats and they arrived at the Jackson/Dearborn station, they got off the train and were on Jackson Street 39 minutes later.

"Where to first, mom?" VIvi asked Abby.

"Since we're near the Sears Tower, how about we head to the 103rd Floor?" Abby suggested.

"Sounds good to me." Spencer stated as he, his mother and sister all walked down Jackson and once they approached Wacker, they were at a tall building called the Sears tower, they entered, got their tickets to the 103rd floor aka the Skydeck and headed to the elevator that would take them to the Skydeck.

"A little warning, your ears are gonna pop when the elevator is going up because it's fast, so i brought some bubblegum to chew so they won't pop." Abby warned, then she gave Spencer and Vivi the pieces of bubblegum and once they got on the elevator, they began to chew once the doors closed and began to take them to 103rd floor and it was fast, but under a minute, the elevator arrived at the 103rd floor, which is the Skydeck and the three looked in the westward direction.

"I can see the United Center from here!" Vivi exclaimed.

"Me too, we should go there for a Bulls or a Blackhawks game." Spencer suggested.

"We can do that." Abby agreed. "Vivi, i used to bring Spencer here before i adopted you."

"I remember you telling me the stories about my older brother. Once we're done here, where will we head to next?" Vivi asked Abby.

"We can head to The Bean at Millennium Park." Abby said. "What do you tihnk, Spence?"

"Sure thing." Spencer agreed, then he looked at his sister. "Vivi, did you also know that you can see Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana from here when it's a clear day?"

"I didn't know that." Vivi stated.

"You learn something new everyday." Abby told her daughter. "I used to tell Spencer that too when he was little."

"That's true." Spencer said, then the three headed back down to the lobby, there they left and caught a 151 Sheridan CTA bus and it took them to Michigan Avenue and they went to see the bean at Millennium Park, there Abby took some photos of her kids doing some silly poses and it made her laugh.

"You two are something else." Abby laughed.

"We know, right?" Vivi and Spencer both laughed too and even Abby did some funny poses as Spencer took some photos with his camera and minutes later, they arrived at Navy Pier.

"Vivi, whenever mom brought me here, we'd either look at the boats, the ferris wheel or just walk through the place." Spencer said.

"Cool."

"And sometimes we'd get Connie's Pizza. I wish they'd open one back home in Orland Park." Abby stated.

"That would be a great idea and i remember Gia said the same thing sometime last summer."

"You never know."

They were outside and were looking at The Spirit of Chicago boat, where Spencer's high school graduation party was held last year.

"We all had so much fun that day." Abby reminisced, talking about her son's high school graduation party that was held on the Spirit of Chicago.

"Yeah, we did." Spencer added. "At one point Mackenzie almost ate all the chips on there."

"That's Kenzie for you." Vivi stated as they laughed. "Maybe one day we can head to the Museum of Science & Industry."

"We can do that, sounds like a good idea." Abby said.

Later on, the three headed over to the Adler Planetarium and once they were done, they headed back to Adams Street and caught a Blue Line train back home to Cumberland, they went home and called it a day.