3) The Good Land

They finally arrived at their basement room with the red headed girl.
"You should be safe here, no one knows about this place." Jihyo lit the oil lamp they had and took the girl's hand and made her sit on the mattress.
"Why did you do this?" She asked.
"We saw you getting taken away from those people." Nayeon spoke.
"Yeah, for the wrong reason..." The girl sighed.

"What do you mean?" Jihyo asked, but she knew what she meant.
"They accused me for stealing from the warehouse which I didn't."
Nayeon and Jihyo glanced at each other with nervous looks.
"Thanks by the way." She smiled.

"Names Park Jihyo, my friend here is Im Nayeon." Jihyo held out her hand as the girl shook it.
"Minatozaki Sana, but you can call me Sana."
They all sat down on the lone mattress as they were relived.
"I have to leave Seoul, before they find me with you." Sana said.

"In the meantime you can stay for a day." Nayeon handed her a water bottle from the shelf.
"Is this sanitary?" She asked.
"It's fine, I think."
Sana took her chance and drank it, funnily enough it wasn't contaminated in any way.
Jihyo looked at the girl again and had one question from her.
"Did you write that symbol in the cell?" Jihyo inquired as it still lingered in her mind.

"You mean the infinity symbol? No, I was wondering if you knew about it."
Jihyo knew she saw it somewhere, but she didn't know where. It kept bothering her as she looked at Nayeon for answer.
"What are you looking at? I didn't write it."
They all sighed, but Nayeon. She knew something.

"I may not know, but I've heard of the Good Land."
The two girls sprang up to her like a jack in a box, tugging her and shaking the life out of her.
"Who? Why? When?" Jihyo said quickly.
Nayeon stepped back for a moment, "Since when are you guys so into this?"
"I've heard that name from somewhere, I can't remember." Jihyo answered.
"Same here." Sana replied.

"I know someone who knows something about it."
Their eyes lit up and begged of her to take them to this person.
"Are you sure you want to roam around with an escaped girl?" Nayeon pointed towards Sana as she tried to avoid her sharp gaze.
"When are you leaving?" Jihyo looked back at her.
"As soon as I get supplies and I'm off."

Suddenly a shout came from the ground above.
"Nayeon! Jihyo!"
It was Jeongyeon and she didn't seem too happy.
"Quick! Hide Sana in the corner." Jihyo instructed Nayeon as she dragged her into a dark corner covering her in black overalls on top of her.
Footsteps grew louder and there she was sliding into the basement and with her shadow covering the oil lamp light.
"Did you hear?" Her nasty tone could be heard.
"What happened?" Nayeon avoided her look.

"In a span of one day, the warehouse was stolen and now that girl escaped from prison." Jeongyeon slammed her foot onto the floor.
"It's the same person?" Jihyo asked.
"She says it wasn't, but I don't believe her. I'll find her, keep an eye out for a red headed girl by the name of Sana." She crawled out to the outside and every one of them relaxed.

"I have to leave." Sana said.
They all paused in one stance.
"Tomorrow at sunrise, we can leave." Jihyo spoke.
"Hold up, we're leaving? What?!" Nayeon squealed.
"I'm sick of this corrupted place, I want to know about this Good Land."
"Why now? We don't even know if it's actually real." Nayeon sat down on the mattress once again.
"Even if it's not real, I just want to leave this place." Jihyo looked down onto the dark floor.
"There's a settlement that's not over run by The Outsiders, but it's quite far." Sana said.

The girl nodded and they both looked Nayeon who didn't answer them yet.
"I mean, it'll be better than here."
They started to laugh and it was settled, tomorrow they're going to leave Seoul, the guy Nayeon mentioned lives just outside the city. How easy will that be?
.
.
.
A new day, a new way to escape this treacherous city. Sana was already up and packed her stuff in her bag whilst Jihyo and Nayeon were just starting to wake up.
"We have to go now." Sana said in a hurry as she kept stuffing items in her bag.
"This early..." Nayeon replied with a groggy tone.
"If we want to get out of this city we have to go where everyone isn't around."
Jihyo stood up and helped Sana.
"Let's go Nayeon, we have to see your friend."
"Oh...yeah." Nayeon groaned and lazily stood up when she grabbed her bag.
She started to stuff in a metal pot, it the only way to get fresh water and to boil out the bacteria.

Jihyo was the first to peek out into the streets, it was early. They knew that none of the Outsiders would be out and around.
"It's clear."
They stepped out, but still being cautious.
"Where does he live?" Sana asked.
"Just over Han River, his apartment is just on the right of the bridge."
They made their way through the bridge and saw the apartment that Nayeon said it was.

"You sure that no Outsiders are in there?" Jihyo wanted to clarify.
Nayeon nodded her head, positive that she was right.
They walked inside and it was the same as any apartment, old, dusty and broken. After the incident, no one was there to help rebuild. Now they had to live in these shambles, bucket holes you may say.
"His room is there." Nayeon pointed at a red door that the numbers have been worn out, yet you could still see it.

Jihyo knocked once and small noises could be heard.
"Who is it?" A deep manly voice spoke.
"It's Nayeon."
The handle started to turn, then the door opened revealing a tall man in overalls, his body was built to fight, but he was just a scientist.
"Who's your friends?"
"They want to ask you about something you know."
He sat on his sofa lazily whilst leaving the door open.

"Hurry up and close the door, I don't want any Outsiders to come in." With his nasty tone, the girls came in. Sana was the last to enter, she shut the door and locked it.
They all stood in a bunch, confused where to go.
"I'm not going to kill you, you can sit down." He said it as a joke, but it was kind of unsettling for a moment.
The three sat down on the other sofa opposite him.

"Do you know anything about the Good Land?" Jihyo went first and she didn't expect him to laugh. No one of them did— well maybe Nayeon.
He calmed down for a bit, "I practically lived in the Good Land."
The response shocked them and yes even Nayeon.
"You lived in there?" Sana asked.
"Me and a few scientist friends built this sanctuary in case of any emergency. We made it before everything went down."
"What was in there?"
"Food, water, electricity. Basically everything that we don't have now."

"Then why did you leave?" Jihyo questioned.
"I just wanted to, being cramped up in a sanctuary. Not able to go out, stuck in the same clothes." He replied as the girls listened more eagerly.
"How did you hear about this?" It was his turn to ask.
Sana and Nayeon nudged Jihyo who was in the middle of both of them.
"There was a symbol in the holding cell, an infinity sign. A message below saying 'Go to the Good Land, you'll be safe there'." Jihyo answered as she was a bit shaken up.

He muttered something under his breath, but no one heard what he said.
"Why are you so interested?"
"Because we want to find it." Sana said quickly.
The expression on the man's face became more shocked.
"You want to find the Good Land. Is it so you could escape this world?" He looked at each one of them.
"Even if we are, you know where it is." Nayeon glared at him.

He chuckled, "You were always like your father, but I'll help you."
On the two girls faces turned towards Nayeon, they said nothing and kept quiet.
He stood up and went into the kitchen searching for something in the drawers.
They waited patiently before he could give them something which looked like a walkie talkie. It was a radio transmitter.
"Here." He gave it to Jihyo.
"What's this?" She asked.
"It's how you're going to find the Good Land and how to enter it." He explained, not fully.

"What will it do?" Sana joined in.
"It will flash since an electrical currents pass through the underground, don't ask how it works it just does that when you get near the sanctuary." He sat down again.
"Where do we start?"

"Here's a compass to show you the direction. You must always go south, if you lose your way just follow the sun high in the sky."
They all nodded and walked towards door when a knock came.

"Were you expecting anyone?" Nayeon looked back at him.
"No."