Chapter Four

The doctor had pulled all the glass out of my back, stitched up my wounds, and suggested that I do a lot of resting so I would heal faster. After our little talk about my difference, he began to act like he cared. A part of me hoped he did.

           "Well," he started, "I think I'll have to get an x-ray of both of your legs so I can see what's going on. I can't really tell what the problem is right now." He packed up his things and closed the briefcase. "I'll talk to Alpha Lorne, and see if I can get you x-rayed today. We'll have to do it today or else it might get worse. Hopefully, you didn't heal over whatever is hurting your legs."

           "Okay," I replied as he stood up to leave. "Thank-you."

           He grinned at me. "You're welcome." And he left.

           I watched him walk around the other cells and stop to talk to the guards. Even with the echo in the room, I still couldn't make out what they were saying. They spoke in hushed voices. At one point they all looked over at me. I smiled and waved. The doctor grinned back and turned to the guards again. More discussion. Then the doctor walked out with two guards following him. The other two stayed. I knew the two guards were watching my every move, mainly because there was no one else here. And because I've been on the werewolves "most wanted" list.

           I looked around the plain cell and sighed. This is going to get very boring very fast. There's nothing in here, not even a bed or a toilet. I guess they don't feed prisoners. I wasn't aloud to move around much because of the stitches, and there wasn't any type of entertainment going on. If I wasn't going to court, I'd throw rocks at the guards. I canvass the rocky floor and saw a large piece of glass. I reached over and grabbed it. I heard the guards gasp. I began to my name in the rocks. The glass scratched the rocks like chalk on cement. The guards seemed to be okay with it. 

           After drawing my name in different scripts, I got bored again. I looked at the rock walls and thought about climbing. The cell went up to the ceiling so there was no way I could get out if I did climb the walls. But then my stitches would come out.

           I sighed. It's always something.

           Wolf, I mentally asked. Are you there? Yeah, she replied. I'm bored, I told her. She shifted. Count the rocks or something, she suggested.

           Suddenly, an idea popped into my mind. I looked over at the guards, and they exchange glances. I carefully crawled over to the front of the cell and looked at them.

           "Hi." I greeted them. They exchanged glances again. "Will you play a game with me?"

           "We aren't aloud to be associated with rogues." The male guard said without feeling.

           I gave him a sad, pained stare. "Oh." I quietly muttered. I looked over at the other guard, and she looked conflicted. "Can I have a different cell?"

           "No." The male guard said.

           The female guard gave me a weird look. "Why?"

           "The cell over there has a large rock that I could lay on." I told her and pointed to the cell I wanted. "I thought maybe I could count it as my first bed."

           "You never had a bed?" The female guard asked. "But I heard you came from a large building. Wasn't there couches or something?"

            "There was but someone stole them before I got a chance to sleep on one." I told them. "So instead I drew a big square on the floor and called that my bed."