Chapter 2

Xavier's POV

I'm in Alpha Daniel's office, making small talk, when my beta, Jaydon, mindlinks me.

"I think this pack is hurting one of the members. Very badly. She's in a cell, with no bed, bloodstains, and barely any clothes. She looks like she hasn't eaten in weeks, and now Marc is beating her up because she called him by his name on accident. Come quickly, we need to get her away from here! We can take her with us!"

"I'm on my way," I reply.

I hear my wolf howling at me, telling me to hurry up and go down to the basement. I'm a bit confused, but I figure she must be important since my wolf is screaming at me to MOVE.

I start heading to the basement, and soon I get the faintest whiff of vanilla and caramel. It smells amazing. I rush to the basement door, fling it open, and my eyes meet the eyes  of the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

"Mate!" I growl, right before she passes out.

This is when I notice the bruises. The bloodstains, the little box of clothes, and the absence of a bed. My mate has been mistreated by her own pack. HER OWN GOD DAMN PACK!

All I can see is red, and I glare at Marc. He was hurting my mate. I feel my eyes dangerously turn black, and my wolf, Damon, wanting to take over. To be released so we can tear that filthy mutt apart.

I let out a booming growl that seems to echo in the large basement, and charge at Marc. I grab him and throw him through a wall, the rubble collapsing on top of him, successfully knocking that son of a bitch out. My wolf wants to finish him, to kill him, but I turn to my injured mate, and my anger disappears, replaced with love and concern.

"Jaydon," I say. "Get Allison and my mate's things. We're leaving."

I rip open the cell and carefully pick up my mate bridal style, and cuddle her into my chest. She whimpers in pain and shifts positions, but is still unconscious.

It's time to go home.

Elaina's POV

I wake up on something soft, with something wrapped around my wrist, and I hear an annoying beeping sound. I peel my eyes open to see a bright white room, with monitors, and an electric blue cast is clasped onto my right wrist, the one that I broke. I . . . I'm . . . what happened?

I still feel dizzy and a bit uncoordinated. After blinking a few times, and taking a deep breath to clear my head, I realize I'm at the hospital. Who brought me here? I- Oh my god.

Memories come rushing back to me. I have a mate! No! Why me? Why would I have a mate? He's just going to hurt me, exactly like everyone else. His pack might be even worse than my old one. No . . . I can't go with him! Plus, he's an alpha! He'll definitely be more agressive than all my other bullies. I need to get out of here!

I sit up stiffly, and try to get out of bed when a doctor walks in, looks shocked at my consciousness, and shouts down the hall, "Alpha Xavier, she's awake!" Xavier?

The man I saw in the basement . . . my mate, I suppose, bursts into the room and smiles while staring intently into my ugly blue eyes with his chocolate orbs. He turns to the doctor, slightly jerking his head toward the door. She gets the message and quickly scurries out of the room, leaving me alone with him. No! I don't want to be alone with him, he's probably going to start beating me up!

He walks closer to the hospital bed I'm in, making me quickly push myself backward until my back's pressed up against the firm pillows. I tuck my knees under my chin, wrap my arms around my legs, and look frightfully at Xavier, who's staring at me sadly.

He strides over and sits on the edge of the bed, making me squeak in fear. He's too close! I duck down my head, my chin pressed against my chest and my forehead resting on my knees. I'm too terrified to look at him, so I squeeze my eyes shut and hug my legs impossibly closer to my torso.

My heart is pounding in fear, making the heart monitor connected to my finger beep like crazy and make tons of noise.

"Please don't be afraid," I hear his deep voice say quietly.

I only whimper in response. I've been scared my whole life. I've been hurt my whole life. He may be my mate, but he's surely no different. I feel his hand gently touch my arm, and I give a small yelp of pain. He just put pressure on one of my really bad bruises from being shoved down the stairs. I completely stiffen in pain, but I also notice a patch of lingering tingles and warmth on my arm.

I try to move farther away from him, but I feel his arms wrap around my curled up body and pull me closer. My head shoots up, I uncurl, and I start scrambling away from him, forgetting I'm on a bed, resulting with me on the floor, groaning in pain. In a flash, he's there next to me, picking me up bridal style. Is he going to throw me into the wall?

I wriggle around violently in his arms, trying to get free, but he tightens his grip until I can't really move, and I'm sure there are going to be a few more bruises on my arms and legs. A quiet noise expressing my fear sounds from somewhere in my throat. Realizing my pain, Xavier's brown eyes flood with guilt, and he loosens his hold. I rip myself out of his grip, jump to the other side of the bed, and sit down in the very corner of the room, curled up in the fetile position.

I hear him sigh and walk over to me.

"I'm sorry," he says softly. "I didn't mean to hurt you. You're my mate, I only wanted to hold you, and then you fell, so I was going to put you back on the hospital bed."

I peek out of my arms, to see him sitting cross-legged right in front of me. I give a frightened squeak, shove my head back down, and push myself farther into the corner until it hurts my back. He sighs again.

"Can you at least tell me your name?" he asks.

It doesn't matter what my name is, no one uses it. He won't either, so why bother? I slightly shake my head no, knowing he's watching my every move. He places his hand on my shoulder, making me flinch horribly, hitting my head on the wall behind me.

"Mate, please be careful. Don't hurt yourself," I hear him say.

Don't hurt myself? Why, so you can instead? Probably, but my old pack loved it when I hurt myself, it gave them another thing to insult me for. They also got the idea to pour lemon juice or press salt into my fresh cuts and scrapes. In fact, they encouraged me to do it. New razor blades were the only thing they bought for me, and were very happy when I accepted them and used them. Sometimes they would even cut my wrists for me. Sometimes they or I would cut my thighs, or stomach.

Of course, they didn't leave anything out. They just added the cuts to the whippings, beatings, burning, and so on. Oh, and you can't forget about the insults and all the work they made me do. They did much more than that, but I really don't want to think about that right now.

"Don't worry, you're not going back to your old pack," he says comfortingly. Well, that's good, I suppose . . .

"You're going to come and live with my pack," he says.

My eyes widen, and I stiffen, still curled up. I do NOT like the eagerness in his voice . . .

***************************************************************

So, yeah, not the best chapter, but I figured I should just publish it.

Thanks so much for reading! Vote, comment, follow, PM, whatever you want to do. If you like this story, share it with your friends, because . . . that would be awesome. Bye guys!

~MysticWillows