Chapter 22

Hey guys, quick question: do you like cute little filler chapters like the last one? Because I could make this book consistently dramatic but that doesn't sound very fun :P

******************************

Elaina's POV

I jolt awake when I feel something move against me. My panic slowly subsides as I realize it was just Xavier adjusting my blanket, but I avoid eye contact and take deep breaths regardless. I swing my legs over the edge of the chair and stretch, rolling my ankles, wrists, and shoulders, feeling sore. I yawn groggily, rubbing my eyes before finally looking up at my mate, clearing my throat. "How's work?" I ask just above a whisper, my voice still husky and rough from being awoken so suddenly.

"Never ending," he chuckles humorlessly. "But I suppose I should stop for today. Hungry?" I shrug. I don't really want to eat, but I know he's going to make me.

I shakily stand up, my legs weak underneath me. I pick up my stack of books, glancing at Xavier. "What do I do with these?"

He responds without hesitation. "You can check them out, of course. You can return the ones you finish some other time." I brighten up in excitement and give a nervous little smile.

"Thanks." I'm really glad I'll have access to so many books while I'm here. I've always loved reading, but obviously I never had a lot of time to do it until now. Books were the only true friends I ever had because they're always there for me, and I know they can't really hurt me outside of a few paper cuts. Even before the whole incident with my mom, a lot of kids were only nice to me to get close to my family, the big important leaders and all that. Books and my family, mostly my mom, were all I had to rely on.

I look down at the stories I picked out, excited to continue exploring their pages later on. We exit heaven, navigating our way through the hallways and staircases to the kitchen, dropping off the books and Xavier's work stuff in his room on the way.

He gently takes hold of my hand and starts leading me back downstairs to the big, fancy kitchen. I admire the shiny wooden cupboard doors and the modern architectural design. This place must've been built or improved rather recently; why do all packs seem to live in freaking mansions?

Xavier fishes through the pantries and fridge and starts cooking while I awkwardly sit at the counter on a comfy stool. While we eat, Xavier stares at me like he's thinking of something. "How much training have you received?"

I choke down my food and think. "I-I stopped training at like six? . . . so all I did was run laps and basic exercises like jumping jacks . . ." I trail off, embarrassed that I've missed out on years of training so in a dangerous situation like an attack or something, I'd basically be as helpful as a toddler.

He furrows up his eyebrows with a look of anger and remorse. "Sorry?" I mutter. He shakes his head.

"Don't be." He clears his throats and takes a breath. "So I guess we'll start with the basics."

I tilt my head and quirk my eyebrow in question. "Training?" He nods. I gnaw at my chapped lips, imagining how horribly I'll do and how annoyed and disappointed everyone will be with me. "Okay," I mumble concernedly.

I get up and clear my dishes, trying to ignore how much food is still left over on my plate. I sigh and close my eyes, contemplating for a few moments before snapping back to reality and scrubbing my plate. When I'm done rinsing and gently placing my dishes in the drying rack, I slowly go back to the counter and wait for Xavier to finish his dishes.

He comes back to sit across from me and observes my nervous lip-biting. "Don't worry, you're not starting yet. First we need to go shopping today and we need to get your diet back to normal before you start exercising so you don't pass out or get overly exhausted." I press my lips together while my anxiety gradually fades; I nod slowly, glad I'm not starting today but nevertheless nervous about eating and being around angry, energized fighters. Hmm, shopping . . . it didn't go very well the day I met Kaeden; everyone at the mall reacted really badly to all my obvious scars and bruises, plus my anxiety was practically paralyzing.