Chapter 6

Elaina's POV

I look down, away from Xavier's intense chocolate eyes, and say, "Thanks."

My voice is so quiet, I could barely hear it myself, but he does, and smiles dazzlingly at me. "For what?" he asks, but I don't reply. I don't know exactly what I'm thankful for, I'm just . . . grateful.

My stay hasn't exactly been terrible. I mean, not yet. Except for maybe this morning's awkwardness, the fact that Xavier keeps staring at me, and the way that basically the entire pack is treating me like . . . a luna that's made of glass and should be avoided. They just kind of acknowledge me from afar. But other than that, not bad.

I mean, so far, no one has really hurt me, but . . . I don't know. I'm just kinda confused. Someone should've hurt me by now, but no one has. It's quite strange, actually. This place is so different compared to my old pack, I almost want to go back to avoid confusion. At my old pack house, it was very clear what I was there for. I was a slave, a punching bag. But here, I'm treated better, but experience has taught me that nothing good lasts. I'm just waiting for someone to strike. Just waiting for something bad to happen.

I snap out of my thoughts and start eating my breakfast, despite the fact that I'm not really that hungry. Is it bad that I kinda miss my family? Not necessarily the people in my family, but my dad and brother are the only family members still alive. I miss Mom. I wouldn't be in this situation if she was alive.

After a forkful of eggs, a miniscule chunk of pancake, and a few bites of hash browns, I'm full. I stand up to put my plate away when Xavier says, "Wait. You're done already? You've barely eaten anything."

I shrug and glance at him. "I'm full."

"But you've barely eaten anything," he says concernedly. I don't really want to explain that my stomach has gotten used to basically being empty all the time. Starving someone will make their stomach shrink, basically.

"I'm full," I repeat, continuing on to put the rest of my food in the fridge. I know Xavier's upset that I'm not eating much, but there's really nothing I can do about that. Wait- why do I even care? I'm not supposed to even be here. It's just so different. So weird.

I'd rather be back with my old pack. I know, I sound absolutely insane, but at least I know what to expect over there. Pain and work. Not exactly a party, but I was never in suspense about when and how I would get hurt. Here, it's different. It's a total mystery, like the crime movie from hell. I know I'm going to get hurt but I don't know how, and by who.

I almost want Xavier or some random pack member to come up and just punch me. Then I could get it over with and leave. "Hey bitch!" I hear from behind me, and I sigh. I said almost.

I turn around to be met with Cindy yet again. "Listen bitch, I don't know who you think you are, but Xavier is fucking MINE." I sigh and try to make my way around her, but she grabs my arm hard, making me stop. "Don't you dare walk away. I'm gonna make your life worse than hell."

For some reason, her saying that makes the corner of my mouth turn up into a small smirk. "Good luck," I say quietly. "But it's already been done. I suggest you worry about something else, not Xavier being my mate. Have him if you want. I don't really fucking care." And with that, I tug my arm out of her grip and walk away, thinking.

Do I really not care about Xavier being with someone else? I mean, we are mates, but he's probably had other girlfriends. Other girlfriends that are most definitely better than I'll ever be. I'm just the pathetic little bitch with too much baggage. Even if I stay, which is what Xavier thinks he wants, he'll eventually find me annoying and insecure.

Maybe I should just leave. Maybe I should just spare him the inconvenience of having to deal with me. I think I'll leave. Yeah, I'll leave. Tonight. I'm no good around here anyway, because there's no purpose for my presence, no purpose for my life. I'll just go back to my old pack.

"Don't go back to that place, Elaina," I hear a weak whisper inside my mind. Wait- was that . . . my wolf?

"Yeah, it's me. I know it must be strange hearing me after such a long time, and sorry for not being able to talk for so many years. Healing our countless wounds has left me too weak to really do anything other than watch as those disgusting people tormented you, and I'm sorry for that, but this is important."

Hearing Elizabeth's admittedly weak, but still brave, voice almost brings me to tears. "Don't stay here, Elaina. Go somewhere where no one knows us. Where no one can hurt you or me." I'm shocked at what I hear.

"Don't you need to be around your mate? He's supposed to be our other half, right?" I ask her, and her weak whimpers echo through my thoughts.

"Yes, of course he is but so far, pretty much everyone who's ever loved you, or who you've ever loved have turned on us. They all forgot their love and tortured us for years. Staying here isn't worth it. We'll definitely be hurt by him eventually or at least this pack unless we leave the minute we have the chance, before they inevitably turn on us, on you. Are you strong enough to leave?" she asks me.

I think about leaving, and it actually makes me sad before I realize Elizabeth is right. "Yeah, I'm strong enough. When are we leaving?"

"As soon as possible."

********************************************************

WHOA, this took literally FOREVER, sorry! I can't believe I haven't updated in so long! Also, the chapter isn't as long as I would like it to be, but hey, at least I'm finally posting something.

Thanks so much for reading and voting. It's seriously crazy how many votes and reads this book is getting, so thanks, seriously! Please vote, comment, follow, do whatever . . . SPRING BREAK, YAYYYY! Anyway, BAI!

~MysticWillows