Chapter 14: Broken souls

Start from the beginning

What if he's still there. What if he only shut the door to pretend he'd left, but is still very much there as he knows I would come out once he left.

My tired overthinking mind whirred up endless possibilities determining my decision to leave the bathroom or not. But truthfully I knew from the sincerity in his voice that he wouldn't play games.

Reaching my arm up I grabbed the top of the sink and pulled myself up to my feet stumbling around slightly as my legs had grown numb from not using them for some time. I lent against the door once more pressing my ear firmly against it eagerly listening for any indications of James' presence still in the room. But it was clear that he was no longer there. Although I knew James was not there, I did however hear a small faint sound of something moving around on the bed.

Cautiously opening the door as slowly and quietly as I could I peered out into the room and my heart swelled as I stared straight at the bed.

Our little Milo had somehow managed to snuggle himself under the duvet and was rolling around underneath the covers kicking around the blankets and duvet.

He's so perfect.

"Milo" I whispered softly still weary that James could be just outside the door.

As soon as his name was called Milo bounded to the top of the bed and peeped his head up from under the duvet.

I walked over to the bed and sat myself down on the edge of it before throwing my legs up onto the bed and shuffling to lean against the headrest

I walked over to the bed and sat myself down on the edge of it before throwing my legs up onto the bed and shuffling to lean against the headrest. I stared down at Milo who was staring at me with those adorable puppy eyes that could make me do anything for him. Milo had moved away from the duvet and chose to lay down on the pillow next to me. I rested my hand on his smooth fur and began to rub it gently. As we both laid there peacefully I began to get lost in my thoughts and remembered James' words and body language. I remembered the way he pulled away harshly from me. I remembered the way he stared at me as if I was the most horrible thing he had seen, perhaps I was. Compared to James I looked like a peasant.

Once again the tears started to flow without my consent and dropped down like raindrops falling onto my hands and the pillow.

Milo instantly shot up and hopped off the pillow he was laying on. He jumped into my lap and lent his face close to mine his nose sniffing around before nudging my chin up with his face. The tears started to flow harder as I began to lose myself so deeply in my thoughts.

Something is not right. I feel like everything is wrong.

The soft whimpers of Milo pulled me away from my dark dismal thoughts and back to the sweet little puppy who was staring at me with his head tilted to the side.

"What did I do to deserve you my little Milo. Maybe you're the final puzzle piece James and I need. I never want to lose you". Milo nuzzled his head into the crook of my neck and licked away at my tear stained cheeks. Small giggles escaped my dry lips as Milo pounced on me licking me relentlessly and showed no signs of stopping.