Thirty-Four

Carson pulled to the side of a familiar gravel road. "Is this a good place to talk?" he asked me.

I nodded. We both got out and started walking the path that, though we'd only taken once, we knew by heart.

It seemed to take longer this time getting to the little shack, and I knew it was because I was nervous of what Carson had to say. Nevertheless, we got there, though it had started to sprinkle a little on the way.

Carson walked inside the small wooden building, and I followed behind him. We went and sat in the back left corner, where there was a square hole that was supposed to be a window.

"Look, Carson, I-"

No," he put a hand over my mouth, his eyes shining with something I couldn't define. "I'm starting. I wanted to talk. And I have to say everything before I lose the courage that I currently have a small amount of."

I nodded.

"Great. Okay." Carson took a deep breath before beginning. "You were a freshman, I was a sophomore. You were Josie's sister, and I was her friend. But you were so pretty." He smiled as if he had gone back three years. "I used to love watching you. Which sounds creepy, I know. But you laughed so much. You were always so happy. When I'd go over to you and Josie's house, I would always look for a way to say something to you. Josie eventually caught on, you know. She used to tease me about it. I kind of lied when I told you I'd come to hang out with you because I was third-wheeling. It was because I liked you. Josie knew that's where I was going every time, but one day she told me that it made her upset that I'd rather spend time with her little sister than with her. So I stopped. Eventually, the feelings I had for you went into hibernation. And then when we were at the hotel, running around the halls. When I hugged you, everything came back. Just like that." Carson paused to take a breath. "So what I'm trying to say, Ellie, is that I like you. I really, really like you."

He looked at me as if waiting for an answer. I was trying so hard not to smile.

Finally, after I'd thought I'd let him sweat enough, I threw myself into him.

And I kissed him.

After a moment, I pulled away. "I really like you, too."