TWENTY-THREE

Lakyn's address was harder to get to than we had originally imagined. It also wasn't in the best neighborhood.

The building was kind of grimy looking. The exterior seemed like it had originally been a nice off white, but now it had weird brown towards the bottom and it was light brown from age everywhere else. There were cracks along the walls, and the windows were either broken or cracked in most places. There were a few that didn't have any breaks, though.

The carpet inside looked like it hadn't been steamed or replaced since the building was new. I tried to look past that as we walked to the reception desk.

"Can you give us Brandy's- I mean Lakyn Smith's- apartment number?"

The man working the desk sighed and typed for a second. "We don't have a Lakyn Smith. But there is a Brandy."

Carson and I looked at each other for a minute. "Yeah," I finally said. "That should be it."

The man said. "12 C. But don't be surprised if she isn't there. She hasn't paid in two months. We're thinking she dashed. The manager was going to go in and investigate tomorrow. But we've checked the cameras and haven't seen her on em' in a while."

"Thank you," I said.

Carson and I left, feeling the guy's stare on us.

We found the elevator at the end of the hall and went to the third floor of the building. Of course, the elevator was as sketchy as the rest of the building but I didn't want to walk to the other side of the hallway. The light was going out over there, and that seemed to Cliche'-Horror-Movie for me to have the desire to be down there.

The elevator had a dull vibrating sound before the door opened, and we saw that the third floor looked much like the first. Ugly striped brown and white wallpaper, though the white was more the color of smudged dirt, and brown carpet. Lakyn's apartment was the last one on the right side.

We knocked but there wasn't an answer. There wasn't a sound. "He said they haven't seen her leave. I'm thinking we should see if it's locked."

I nodded. He turned the door handle. As predicted, it wasn't locked.

Something tells me Lakyn was far from concerned about her well being. Then again, I don't think this is a place thieves come to steal. This is more like the place they'd come to stay.

Carson turned back to me and shrugged, stepping in.

I followed after him.