THREE

Josie, April 17th

She was tired.

Josie had been through so much, hiding it so well from her little sister. She didn't want Elle to know how much she was hurting. Even if she was only one year younger, Josie had to protect Eleanor from the hurt she'd been through.

But Josie couldn't do it anymore.

She'd had more problems in her life than anyone knew, even her best friends. She kept it all hidden.

Instead of sharing all the thoughts flying through her mind every second every day, Josie had resorted to finding adrenaline. Instead of telling Carson the things she went through every day, she would do crazy things like street racing or trying cigarettes.

But she couldn't do it anymore. The adrenaline wasn't there anymore, because she simply didn't care.

At all.

So she stood at the edge of the bridge, swallowing the lump down.

Could she actually do it?

Josie turned around to her car, opening the passenger door and digging through the glove department until she found the bottle she was looking for.

The half empty bottle of pills.

She had to swallow hard again. But she wasn't backing out.

Josie thought of her life the way she thought of the pill bottle. Half empty. And the part of it that had stuff in it was mostly bad. Which lead her to this decision. She pulled the keys out of her pocket and put them in the car where the cops or her parents would find it.

Walking slowly back to the bridge, Josie opened the pill bottle and chucked the lid into the water underneath her. She got on top of the railing, sitting.

Josie took a deep breath, and then, without water, swallowed what was left of the pills.

She could feel herself slipping away until the sleeping pills made her fall off the railing.

The whole way down, Josie felt like she was flying. She could feel her arms out to her side.

And when she hit the water, Josie could feel herself smiling as the river washed her life away.