SEVENTEEN

Friday night, just before I went to bed, I started to pack everything I'd need for the trip.

Charger, clothes, headache relief, (just in case) a pillow and blanket, tennis shoes since I was wearing vans tomorrow because you never know, a hairbrush, toothbrush, hair ties, deodorant, and a notebook and pen in case we needed to write anything down.

My phone lit up with a message from Carson. u all ready for tomo?

Just finished packing. About to go to bed so I'll be up early.

goodnight ellie

Goodnight, Carson.

I hid my suitcase under my bed, just in case mom decided to check to see if I was sleeping in the morning or tonight.

I fell asleep five minutes after I crawled under the covers and closed my eyes.

[+]

I woke up to the alarm I'd set in the morning yesterday for 8:00.

Today was the day.

I texted Carson to let him know I was awake, and then went downstairs to see if Mom or Dad was home.

Of course, they weren't.

There was a note on the counter telling me they'd gone to the golf course. That meant I would have plenty of time.

He responded back five minutes later. k. r ur parents gone

Yeah. Come over whenever.

cool. my parents r ab to leave too

I smiled. Things were working out. I was going to find out who did this to Josie. I was going to get revenge.

I found a pen and flipped over the note that my mom had written. Out to Hollywood. Call me when you read this and I'll explain. Don't worry about me.

That probably was the lamest note ever, but I had taken long enough to find the pen and decide what to write that Carson honked outside, and I had to race up the stairs, grab my suitcase, and then go back downstairs, which I almost fell down, and then close the door behind me as I leave. After I throw my suitcase in the back of Carson's car along with the groceries and cooler, I turned to look at my house. I'd be sleeping in hotels for a while now.

I sighed and got in the passenger seat. "This feels weird."

"I know."

I shook my head and buckled.

"After we go get ice, we'll be headed off to Hollywood."

I gulped as that thought settled into my brain.

"How long do you think we'll be gone?" I asked.

"A week tops. A day to get there. And then we have to find Brandy, get her to spill, and then another day back. So it really depends on how difficult she is."

I nodded. "I think I'm going to turn my phone off for a little bit. So my mom can't track me, or call me and get me to come back."

"You never seemed soft, Ellie."

"It's just... with everything that happened, I don't know if I could actually leave after hearing her on the phone. I want to wait until we're closer to Hollywood than here to talk to her."

Carson nodded. "Whatever you want to do."

Carson backed out of the driveway and we headed to a convenience store a few miles from my house. I sat in the car as he went inside to grab the ice. We both thought it'd be a good idea, considering my parents could see me walking in or out, and I've had the tendency to do what they say lately.

He came back out with a bag and shot me a grin before opening the back door on his side to put the ice bag in the cooler with some of the things that were better kept cold. Carson closed the back door and then got in front, starting the car and backing leaving the gas station.

Besides the traffic lights we'd encounter, we wouldn't stop until we were in Hollywood.

[+]

a/n: leave me a comment telling me how you're feeling about Waterproof so far;)