TWENTY-SIX

Sarah was at my house twenty minutes after Carson sent a message asking her when she was available for getting into a locked phone.

I was surprised when she gave me a hug. Firstly, I hadn't though she'd warmed up to me yet. Second, I hadn't pegged her as the type to hug someone even if she was fond of them.

"I'm proud of you, little Cait."

I hadn't expected that from her either, but it made me feel better than I had thought.

After she'd hugged me, and what seemed to be her actually letting me in, she turned and hugged Carson.

I felt a pang in my stomach, one I now had a name for but wasn't willing to truly admit I was feeling.

Jealousy.

To be honest, I wasn't completely surprised. I had just spend two days, plus the added hours behind that, conversing with him. Laughing with him. Getting to know him.

Carson let go of Sarah. I felt relieved. "Are we ready to do this thing?" Carson asked.

Sarah nodded. "Totally. Let me grab my stuff out of my car, and then we can get started."

"Cool. We'll go ahead and head up to my room. Join us when you're ready."

I started to turn, Carson following me, when Sarah said, "Wait, Elle. Will you help me carry stuff in?" I nodded, even though I was suspicious. "Great! Carson, go ahead. Grab some snacks for us, please."

Carson shrugged and went inside.

The second the door closed behind him, Sarah turned to me with a sly grin on her face. "I saw that. Earlier. Trust me, I'm not coming for your man. Carson's all yours."

I blushed. "What do you mean? We're just friends."

Sarah scoffed and pulled the passenger door open to her two-door car. "Come on. I'm not stupid. You like him, he likes you."

My face got darker. "We're just friends," I repeated. "And there's no way he likes me."

"Oh no, don't do that. He's liked you since he first met you."

"Okay," I agreed. "Maybe he used to like me. But that doesn't mean he does now."

"Don't be too sure," Sarah nudged me, leaning in and pulling her computer out, handing it to me. "And you're not saying you don't like him."

She couldn't see me, but I got even darker. I tried to sound confident. "I don't have a crush on Carson."

"Oh yeah, you do. I saw the look of jealousy on you face."

I looked down, giving up playing dumb. "Fine. Whatever. I just feel like I'm not allowed to, you know?"

"Allowed to what?" She closed the door of her car.

"Like him. I don't think I'm allowed to like Carson. Because of Josie."

Sarah sighed. "Look. Josie and Carson never could have been more than friends. And she's gone. But you're still here. Live like you are."

I sighed. "Maybe."

"Besides," Sarah shrugged, walking beside me as we headed up the driveway towards my house, "that's why I didn't go to Hollywood with you guys. I had the keys to you two's figurative car, and I put them in the engine."

I laughed. "That's a wasted trip if he doesn't even like me."

Sarah sighed, and stopped just as we reached the steps. "I've seen the way he looks at you. I know when he likes someone. I know just the way his eyes light up when he sees them, they way he kind of jolts towards them when they enter the room."

"That's a weird thing to do."

"I don't think so. It's like he wants to go right to them, glue himself to their side, but he's controlling himself. It's kind of cute."

I thought about that, smiling. "Yeah. I bet it is."

When we got to my room, I watched Carson's body carefully.

I could barely make out a little twitch.

I looked over at Sarah to see she was already looking at me with a smirk on her face. "Told you," she whispered.

She did tell me. But my brain still wouldn't stop doubting.