𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER ELEVEN | PRAYER FOR THE DYING

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RILEY AND DAMON WANDERED THROUGH INSIDE ALARIC'S APARTMENT TO WATCH OVER KAI, WHO WAS PLACED UNDER A SLEEPING SPELL. Elena Gilbert, who was previously on Kai-Duty, nervously ran around the apartment in search of everything she needed to start her volunteer shift at Whitmore Medical. A sigh of irritation left the girls lips before her eyes met the couple, who saw her distress.

"Hey. We got some breakfast." Riley's eyes drifted over to the brown paper bag Damon was holding that contained their food. "Want some?"

Elena shook her head after she had finally finished shoving things into her purse and then looked up at them. "I can't. I'm late for my volunteer shift at the hospital."

"Okay." The Salvatore's eyes then drifted to the new daylight ring that Elena was sporting. "Ooh. That's new."

"Oh, yeah. Jo made me a new daylight ring. You like?"

Damon's face fell and a look of confusion was spread widely across his face. "You realise your best friend is a witch, right?" The Salvatore mumbled quietly, earning an irritated look from both girls. "I'm just saying, if I was to put my potential death in the hands of a witch, it's obviously going to be Riley."

Riley furrowed her brows, grabbed Elena's hand, and began to examine the ring. "You know, I could've made you one. You know, one that might actually work. Yeah, she's getting better but I don't know if she's daylight-ring-better."

"I know everyone has their doubts about Jo's magic. She has an entire month to get stronger and win the merge with Kai. So, a little bit of support wouldn't kill anybody." Elena gave Damon the side-eye and then turned back to her purse.

"Speaking of killing people." The raven-haired vampire's attention was taken by Kai, who was under heavy sedation and placed in a spare room in Alaric's apartment. "Still counting sheep or whatever the hell you psychopaths dream of."

Riley nudged Damon away from Kai after he started poking at his body. "Stop that. It's creepy."

"Look, Alaric's gone out of town to get some mystical thing-a-mabob to give Jo an edge, and your job is to babysit Kai." Elena then turned to the little witch. "Your job is to make sure that he doesn't smother him with a pillow. And, if he starts twitching or something, just give him fifty milligrams of pentobarbital."

"Okay, okay. I thought you were late." The witch asked again which then caused Elena to remember that she was in fact late. "Get going, we've got this."

"Alright. Bye." Elena waved to the couple and then ran off out the door.

"Hey, don't you think this is a little, uh— weird?" Riley watched Damon prod Kai again, then slapped his hand away. But, Damon just grabbed her wrist and pulled the strawberry-blonde to her.