What I See

[We pan up and glide across the ocean to see an island surrounded by fog. The moment the island is shown, a girl speaks.]

Hiccup (v.o.): This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death.

[We glide through the fog to see two giant Viking statues with fires burning in their mouths.]

Hiccup (v.o): It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery.

[We go past the statues only to dive through a crashing wave and jump to a closer shot of the island. As we pan in a circular motion, we see several structures, houses, and a sheep farm.]

Hiccup (v.o): My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but, every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets.

[We land on two sheep grazing in the grass.]

Hiccup (v.o): The only problems are the pests. (A dragon carries one sheep away. The other resumes grazing.) You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...

[A dragon fires at the screen as a door slams shut, a girl cowering behind it]

Hiccup (v.o.): -dragons. Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have, stubbornness issues. (Runs outdoors, where all the houses are on fire and Vikings are tussling with dragons all around) My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But, it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

[Hiccup is seen dodging several Vikings. She trips and a male Viking roars in her face.]

Ack: ARGGGHHHHH! Mornin'!

Hoark: What are you doing here?!

Viking: Get inside!

Viking: What are you doin' out?

Phlegma: Get back inside!

[Stoick grabs Hiccup by the collar of her shirt]

Stoick: Hiccup?! What is she doing out aga--?! What are you doing out?! Get inside!

Hiccup (v.o.): That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe as well as my “dad”. They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders. (Stoick throws a wooden cart at a dragon, knocking it out mid-air) Do I believe it? Yes, I do.

Stoick: What have we got?

Starkard: Gronckles, Nadders, Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare.

Stoick: Any Night Furies?

Starkard: None so far.

[Burning embers land on Stoick's shoulder. He casually brushes it off.]

Stoick: Good.

Viking: Hoist the torches!

[Two enormous torches are raised and lit. The dragons swarm around them.]

[Hiccup runs into a blacksmith shop and puts on an apron]

Gobber: Ah! Nice of you to join the party! I thought you'd been carried off!

Hiccup: What, who me? Nah, come on! They are waaaay too smart to go after me. I would only provide as a light snack. (gestures to her skinny body) They go for bigger meals  to carry off.

Gobber:Well be that as it may, they need toothpicks, don't they?

Hiccup (v.o.): The meat-head with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber. I've been his apprentice ever since I was little. Well... littler.