Chapter 13

~Chapter 13

Atara Per

I look between them scrunching my eyebrows together,"What?"

"Do you know about the legend of a human finally freeing us from slavery, from the Bayous?" Pax asked.

I felt even more confused now,"Yeah i've heard the rumors."

"There not rumors." Katie blurted looking like she couldn't believe what was coming out of her mouth."They're real, and I know how stupid that sounds trust me, but we think there real."

I cracked a smile feeling my dry lips crackle,"It's not true, it's a story people tell young kids at night to give them hope."

Pax shook his head,"We have reason to believe it's real."

"What reason?" 

"The Bayou king and queen made a public statement Atara, they never do that, ever."

"That doesn't mean anything." I said but what my mind flashed to was Idy looking at me saying that the king and queen wanted me, for a reason I still didn't know.

I felt my face pale, Pax caught it,"You believe me."

I shook my head,"That's not possible."

"Think about it Atara, the people Blake works for was looking for that person, was looking for you. A few days after Blake goes missing you get kidnapped, that's not a coincidence."

I looked away, my mind swirling through all the thoughts, what Idy said, what she tempted me with, the truth of my parents. If she wasn't lying, and they were the suicide jumpers, and what Jack had said back on Artemis, how he knew my parents, he talked about them like they were legends.

Before i had any longer to process lights started flashing on the control panel, Katie and Pax jumped up running over to it.

He looked back at me panic in his eyes,"Buckle up we're in for a bad landing."

I nodded slowly getting up and walking over to the wall with three spare pull out seats, I pulled one down, sitting down and strapping myself into it, as Pax and Katie did the same.

I gripped my seat hard as we broke the atmosphere, heard the metal start to move as it got hotter, we were headed toward what looked like a forest, tale green trees with trunks that could fit three of me.

Fire flared up around the ship as we got closer to the ground, Pax hit a big green button and I heard a thoom as what i'm assuming was a parachute was deployed to slow our descent to the planet.

As we zoomed through the trees I saw wooden cabins and hundreds of people walking around with, children, buckets, even some with a dead deer hung over their shoulder blades, half of it's bloody body dragging on the ground behind them as they walked along.

We continued rushing past hitting trees and anything that stood between us and the ground, I heard the thumping and snapping as the trees hit our ship, splintering in half.

We finally stopped, our ship head first in a mound of dirt, I clipped my seat belt slowly standing up to look around.

Katie and Pax did the same, we all walked to the ramp where Katie lowered it as much as it could go, we still had to drop two feet before we hit the floor, I sat on the edge of the ramp Pax and Katie got down first, Katie was looking around, while Pax stood beneath me, he grabbed under my arms gently put me down, being careful not to pull a stitch.

I looked away a blush blooming on my neck, butterflies in my stomach, I slowly walked over to Katie she looked over at me giving me a small smile before pointing in front of us,"About two yards that way is people, we should go now, before it gets dark."