chapter 33 - A little dried blood

DEDICATION : veracity 

Chapter 33 - A little dried blood 

There was no way this could be happening. I didn’t understand how he could’ve taken my blood once again, but not have used it. He used it the first time so why would he pass up the chance this time? I quickly grab the syringe and run out the door just to bump into Damon on the way out. The syringe had a cap allowing me to shove it on the back of my pants right where the belt went around my waist.

“Anna, we need to talk.”

“It seems like that’s all people say to me now.” I reply in annoyance.

“Anna, please. I’m begging you. Just give me five minutes.”

“Two minutes and I leave when I want.” I compromise reluctantly. He grins and grabs my hand, dragging me towards the cafeteria. The feel of his hand was soothing and calming I had to say. It was almost painful for me to admit. It was rare that I experienced someone who wanted to hold my hand so frequently. Having someone next to me that wanted to take care of me was amazing to say the least. My rigid fingers slowly warm up against his and our hands interlock. As expected, members were staring, but for some reason I found a lack of need to care. I gave smiles when they bowed or waved and it felt like I’ve grew a bond with them already. We were a family and nothing could change that.

Damon pulls out a chair for me and I smile at him gratefully as I sit down. He walks away to grab some food and I wait. I feel stares on the side of my cheek so I glance toward the direction. I internally groan as I see Abditus, Decorus and Immitis eating their lunch as well. I definitely had the worst timing. I look away and play with my fingers; crossing my fingers that Damon came back quickly.

“The only thing that I could make before you grew tired of waiting was coffee.” Damon says as he sets down the tray and sits down.

“Is it iced?”

He nods his head.

“Then that’s all that matters.” I reply.

His grin becomes even larger and I give a ghost of a smile in return.

            “Anna, I’m sorry.” He says earnestly while I take a sip of the coffee. His eyes had all the sincerity I could’ve ever needed for proof. I knew I had to believe him, but the chances of him hurting me where only going to be greater.

“Feelings are such contradictory things, aren’t they? We would be better off without them.”

            Damon shakes his head in complete disagreement. “Imagine that. People, werewolves and humans alike, not having emotions. They wouldn’t have a conscience let alone feelings of love. Life would be about nothing and killing someone would be as easy as breathing. Love hurts, but what doesn’t. Even if I told you I loved you at this moment and you turned me down it wouldn’t matter. I mean of course I would be in utter pain, but I would keep trying. Life is all about emotions, Anna. The things that you’re most passionate about allow you to fulfill your life, but being a robot doesn’t allow that.”

            “But it’s your jealousy that got in the way of this relationship.” I remind him, not letting him fully win this argument.

“Relationship, huh?” He comments, wiggling his eyebrows in suggestion.

            The sudden movement makes me burst into laughter. His lips are hung on his ears at this point. This was our spontaneous moment that happens when you least expect it. Suddenly our moment was ruined when Damon’s smile evaporated. He glares at someone behind me and I follow his movements just to find the Little Three behind me. That was going to be my nickname for them from now on.

“Is there a reason why you guys are listening into our conversation and standing right behind me like bodyguards?”

“We are leaving soon so we just wanted to let you know.” Abditus reports after a brief silence that consumed the atmosphere.

 I nod my head. “You three are free to leave then. Call me now and then or everyday to fill me on happened. If there’s a problem report to me right away so I can help. If there’s anything you need then don’t be afraid to ask as well. Anything else?”

Abditus shakes his head and his lips form a grim line. “I didn’t know you were in a relationship.”

“In what way does that concern you?”

“I guess that means you are.”

“This situation itself is irking me. I would prefer it if you just left.” I reprimand my tone final and cold.

He turns around and walks away along with Immitis. Decorus remains behind and I am pretty sure why.

“I’ll talk to you later before you leave unless you’re flight leaves right this moment.” I state to him, feeling uncomfortable at the complete silence between the three of us.

He nods clenching his jaw and walks away.

“Why do you need to talk to him for?” Damon asks, as soon as he’s gone. I’m surprised at the lack of jealousy in his eyes this time around.  He just seemed genuinely curious without a hint of anger in place.

“Like you said, I need to hear him out.” I reply, vaguely.

He nods his head, satisfied enough with that answer. He grabs my hand and I don’t make any move to pull away from it.

“I really am sorry, Anna. I proved to you why you shouldn’t lean on me and I regret that more every second that passes by. Simply put, I want to be here for you. I want me to be the person you look for when things get rough. I won’t meddle in the other relationships you create and I’ll become a brother. Someone that you know will unconditionally love you even if it’s not in the way I wish it was.” He explains with a million emotions swimming in his eyes.

“It’s your last chance. I know I need someone whether that be now or later and I’m ok with that person being you.”

He grins and puts a soft kiss on the top of my hand. I give a small smile in return and murmur a thank you for the coffee. I need to take to Decorus before he left. We need to talk about the syringe and how much he was going to get beat up over this. He betrayed be twice and I won’t let there be another one.

It’s time to talk this out.