Chapter 18 - Secret decisions

Chapter 18 – Secret decisions.

I heard a knock on the opening of my prison. I look up and find Theresa biting her lip, debating with herself as if she was forcing herself to face a lioness in a cage.

“It’s a first I’ve seen someone knock on a prison cell.” I shout across the room.

“Can you lower your voice before Aiden finds out I’m here?” She shouts as a whisper.

She comes even closer and sits down a few feet away from me. My foot cuff would only go so far so she was smart to get far enough that I couldn’t hurt her.

“We have to kill Aiden.”

I sit back against the wall and pick at the pebbles on the floor. “That was fast.”

“I’m guessing you expected it.”

I nod and look at her. “Why was Caleb obsessed with the Elite?”

“He wanted to feel as if he did something in place of our parents’ death. You have no idea how much it hurt him. He had to take care of me when he was just starting to grow and it ruined his life.”

I nod at the empty answer. “That doesn’t mean you go out and kill someone.”

“Because you do so much better,” She scoffs.

“I know what I’ve done, but I chose that path myself. How much better is two lives lost than three lives? He got himself killed, but his parents were already dead.”

A tear falls onto the floor and she hastily wipes it off. “How’d you find Aiden?”

            “I was always aware of what Caleb was doing. I was the only person he would ever confide in for anything. I knew the plots he had for you and how he was going to use your love and your heart to get what he wanted. A small part of him strived to be a member in the Elite, but having you by his side would get him anywhere. Caleb didn’t turn off his phone after our conversation was over and I heard the whole thing. I heard how my brother died and sometimes I wish I didn’t have to witness that.” She admits. There was a glint in her eye that I couldn’t get out of my head. Caleb must have had some ulterior motive other than to just clear his parent’s name. He must’ve wanted something to do with me. If he had confided in his sister the chances are pretty high that she wants to the same.

“You’re here to kill Alec, not Aiden.” I correct.

            “Aiden killed Caleb. He framed Alec so you wouldn’t go against him and would stay by his side instead. Alec was lost without you." She gives a sad smile and look at me. "Aiden knew that he would do anything in order for you to love him. He forced him to do the things he did to get you in return. Aiden has promised you, in return for his favors.” She explains quickly.

            I give out a chuckle at how worthless I feel. I am basically going to be given as a sex slave for one asshole over the dickhead. “No one can replace him." I admit truthfully and feel embarrassed to say his name.

            “I’m sorry. I should’ve done something," Her voice breaks on the last word and I know she's holding back a cry.

            "Crying about it now will make no difference. The tears on your face show me nothing, but pitiful regret." I didn't want to see her useless tears. They were of no use to me.

             It’s just he went too far for me to be able to stop him.” Theresa attempts to convince me otherwise. She takes a deep breath and sighs. “You still love him.”

I open my mouth, but she cuts me off. “I see the hint of vulnerability in your eye. You loved him with all your heart and now that you find out, you’re divided. You don’t know whether to hate him or love him.”

I close my eyes as a lone tear escapes my cheek. “I loved him so much.”

“I know you won’t believe me if I told you, but there was a part of Caleb that did too. He hated that he ended up falling in love with you, but he came home so with a huge grin on his face after he met you. He kept his revenge as a priority and that was how he was capable of doing all that stuff to you.”

I shake my head, refusing to let her get to me.

“I wonder sometimes, whether anything would’ve changed if he was still here.” She questioned.

“I would’ve killed him.” I growl.

“Would you have?” Her answer already reveals the truth. I would’ve resented him for what he had done, but I wouldn’t have the mind to hate him.

“We can’t kill Aiden, you have to come up with a plan and something intricate and detailed.” I change the subject. “Aiden could be of use to the both of us, we could stop this.”

She doesn’t reply and gets up to leave. But after taking a couple steps forward she turns around. “If he were to come back, would you still love him?” She stares intently at my eyes. My lack of response means nothing because the answer is held endearingly clear in my eyes.

I grunt at her exit and question the random sentimental moment we had together. No matter how much I hated to admit it, I loved Caleb. He was the first person with the ability to pry open my ice cold heart and I would never forget him.