Chapter 10 - The little girl and the scuff mark.

Dedication: LaceANDenim

Chapter 10 — The little girl and the scuff mark.

           After Caleb left, I found myself walking washing the remaining dishes. But there was something different about today. Not bothered by the fact that my hands are looking like dried grapes at this point, my lips lift up to a huge smile. My heart was no longer an empty hole; it felt complete and happy. I was always that girl that didn't smile and put up that hard front. I've only now realized how much I needed a companion. I wipe off my hands and let out a content sigh.

            I walk upstairs and run my fingers on the wall. I felt like a little girl that finally had her worries minimized to whether or not unicorns were real or not. My fingers start drumming a random beat on the wall and I reach my door down the hall. I am about to go in when I see a black mark, a lot like a scuff mark. I examine the mark and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. It clearly was from a shoe or a boot of some sort, but I rarely wore shoes in this house. I was accustomed to just wearing socks and leaving my shoes near the front door, unless they were brand new. I push the door open and take a look inside the room, scanning every little thing that comes into view. It was starting to become more obvious that was someone has been here. Nothing seemed touched and I had my doubts that someone would just break in and leave with nothing in his hands. My eyes widen as I realize that the intruder might have been the same one in my sacred training room behind my closet.

My hands find their way through my clothes onto the doorknob. The door was slightly open and I groan in frustration. After I leave my room I always leave it completely closed, especially my closet and the secret compartment. I rush inside and find it completely where still; everything was where I left it. I close my eyes as I realize Caleb might have been the one in this very room. Aiden might have been telling the truth for the first time and that confused me even more.

Aiden POV

I see Caleb leave Anna's house towards the Elite building. I didn't know how much longer he was going to keep up this façade. He's been planning something with the Elite and it was kept in a top secret facility. I didn't understand why the Elite would allow a human to work alongside them, but he must have been the only exception. This might be my only chance to get rid of the threat standing in my way.

I see him enter the dark alley way before the entrance and I immediately take out the syringe. Anna had all of her attempts to protect herself, but in the end all of them were pathetic. All I had to do was walk inside her room and take small amounts from each syringe to multiply each affect. It looked as if no one touched it, but in reality the amounts were just in smaller quantities. I walk silently behind Caleb and quickly jab one syringe into his leg. His leg immediately gives out and he's in an intense amount of pain, it would be painful to move it a centimeter.

He grits his teeth and gets back up, sweat covering his forehead from the intense pain.

"You were always a cheating bastard." He growls.

"You only have a few words to say left, choose wisely." I reply.

"I'm not at the disadvantage here, Aiden."                                        

I cock my head at his ambiguous answer. "You planned something with the Elite. That doesn't concern me." I spit back. "Revenge is such a petty thing; it consumes your life until you have nothing, but an empty shell."

A bitter chuckle comes out of his lips and he smirks. "You haven't been so secretive, my friend"

I take a couple steps forward as anger replaces my confidence. "What do you know?"

"But Aiden, a better question would be what don't I know. You're trying to create a useless army to defeat the Elite, but you know it will end in failure." He smirks as my eyebrows furrow together.

He limps over to the brink wall and leans on it, slowly feeling his body give up. "I could kill you right here."

"And it wouldn't matter because I was always five, ten steps ahead of you." He interrupts.

"You were doing the exact same thing, Caleb. You were using Anna to get closer to the Elite, weren't you? Everyone knows how the Elite are run behind Schafter Inc. and you are going to use her heart to get to where you want."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He attempts to reply.

"You know that Anna is warming up to you. The day Anna loves you will be the day where you will be able kill me and my empire, it's too easy."

He gulps and rolls his eyes. "Always an eavesdropper I suppose."

"Parents became such a sensitive topic for you." I ignore his previous comment knowing that I would shift if I fully acknowledged how far ahead he was. There were too many eyes near this alleyway and the growls would interest someone to take a look at the scene unfold right before his eyes.

"You killed them."

"But I didn't"

"No your words did." He shouts as I interrupt him.

            Caleb's parents were werewolves and worked for the Elite as the dirty work personnel and had the same job Abditus has currently. Caleb was adopted since his mother was infertile after a severe accident involving one of her murder cases. The same time I was dating Anna, I decided to try out for the Elite. Anna always spoke of their high status and longed to be in it, so I wanted to show her that all she needed was me. If I were to be a member I would be able to prove something. The couple both decided to reject me as one of their choices because of the "lack of loyalty" they saw clearly present in me. So coincidentally I ended up overhearing one of their couple arguments. The Elite are efficient and secretive at what they do; they kill all witnesses at a crime scene. So when the couple killed one of the corrupted high office men, they failed to realize he had an eight year old daughter until they were done with the job. The couple saw the little girl and imagined the long life she had yet to fulfill so they couldn't bear to kill her. She was tormented with the ruthless way they killed her father so they supported her with money long after her parents' death. As she grew older, she was sworn to secrecy, but it was already too late because I was another hidden witness. I went to the Elite years after with all the information I gathered. The Strong Three questioned the couple's loyalty and pledge to accomplish their job completely. The members have to lose morals when their job is at present; work is priority. Guilt will eventually fade away and you will be left a lot stronger.  The young girl was killed by another member when she was sixteen and the couple were killed a day after my anonymous information. Caleb was the one that knew all the secrets his parents kept. He found out about werewolves the same time he found out I was the anonymous witness. He kept a vengeance ever since.

I smirk at his emotional state. "Death is nothing that should harm you too bad."

"Where are your morals?" He asks, clearly in shock at my emotionless state.

"I lost it along the years. It makes you so much stronger without having emotions. Jealous, anger, disappointment, sadness all make people as weak as you." I explain as I walk closer to him.

He was breathing in heavily and his eyes were forced to stay open.

"Good bye Caleb."

I walk closer as he struggles to stay conscious.

"You're lucky to have death come so early, so painlessly." I say as I take my knife out of my jacket.

I grab him by the shoulder and shove the knife as deep as I can into his stomach. He gasps and kneels on the floor. He forces out a cough, forcing blood to splatter out of his mouth onto his shirt. He stares at the stains on the shirt with a lack of emotion and looks up at me, giving one last cruel smile.

"You will pray, no beg, for death when the Elite are done with you. Don't worry, my  pain will be nothing compared to what you will be forced to endure." He spits out, wiping the remaining blood spilling from the side of his mouth.

I roll my eyes at his overconfidence. I take out a bottle pungent with a different scent. This would prevent any suspicion towards me, making someone else the culprit.

Caleb is wrong; I am still ahead of them and always will be. They didn't have enough to stop me.