Once I thought I was far away from Kale, I stopped to check. But of course, he was a few meters behind sprinting in my direction. I let out a sigh and sat on the bus bench. I was too tired to run away from him. I had to face him sooner than later so might as well face him now.

“Kat, please talk to me.” Kale pleaded as he panted.

He placed himself on the bus bench beside me and I moved away a bit. I can honestly say I’ve never been so mad at Kale in my entire life. Heck, I’ve never been this mad at someone in my entire life. The anger I felt now cannot compare to the anger I felt with Miguel when I found out he was using me or when Austin brought up dad.

I wanted to yell at Kale; to punch him even. But we all know I did the opposite. I let the tears that I’ve been holding in, flow down my face. Kale tried to comfort me but I moved away instantly.

“I don’t want to talk to you.” I intended to sound angry but instead it my words came out shaky and weak.

“Shit, Kat.” He said as he moved closer to me but I moved further. “I didn’t mean to make you upset. I just don’t want us to be in contact with dad. You’ve already seen the damage he caused us, especially you.”

“What do you mean damage? I’m perfectly fine.” I yelled.

“Are you serious Kat?” he was yelled as well. “You always push away the people who genuinely care for you. You always keep your guard up because you think that’s the only way to prevent you from getting hurt. You think if you become close with new people they will leave you like dad did.”

“Okay so what? I have trust issues. I’m not the only one who does.” I defended.

This was stupid. Dad is not the reason why I have become so reserved and picky when it comes to choosing who I want as my close friends.

“I know but he’s also the reason why you physically hurt yourself. You fucking burned yourself because of that bastard!” Kale yelled.

My eyes widened and more tears were on the verge of spilling. He promised he would never speak of it. He knows how much I hate talking about that time. Kale’s angry expression melted into realization and then regret.

“Kat, I-“

“Stop,” I demanded. “I’m done with this conversation. I’ll see you later.”

Luckily, the bus stopped right in front of our bench and I had an extra bus ticket in my pocket. I got up and placed the bus ticket into the slot and took a seat near the window.

 I saw Kale rummaging through his bag and pockets looking for a ticket but he didn’t have one. I heard him yelling my name, demanding the bus to stop. The bus driver looked at me, as if asking me if he should stop. I shook my head and the bus continued down the busy street.

…….

After about an hour of sitting on the bus I ended up at this little coffee shop. It was small but very cozy. It reminded me of the coffee shop near school but unlike that one, it wasn’t crowded here.

The only customers here were an old man reading a newspaper, a young couple sharing a large slice of chocolate cake and three students in separate booths, probably finishing their homework.

I made my way to the far back booth, deciding to do my homework. I plopped into the leather seat and placed my bag beside me. I emptied it out with all my textbooks and binders falling onto the wooden table.

 For the millionth time this evening my phone begins to vibrate. I knew it was either my brothers, Sophia or Evan trying to find out where I was. I ignored their constant phone calls and texts because I really wanted to be alone right now. I turned off my phone and started working on my Advanced Functions homework.