This can't be goodbye (Klaine) Part 2

Summary: Kurt is injured in a horrible incident that lands him in the hospital. Blaine, Burt and Carole realize how homophobic the world still is.

Author's Note: I'd just like to say, that if glee existed in our world, gay marriage would already be legal by the time this story takes place. However, Glee, while it follows some things in the real world, is obviously not in our world (or Sue would be vice president and Rachel would be winning a Tony about now). So, in my fanfic, gay marriage is not yet legal in the US in the glee world. Thanks.

Takes place between season 6 episode 12 and 13 (Winter Break for Kurt's graduating year of NYADA), the day after "Need to be close to you"/"I thought about it once Part 2" fic.

SPOILERS for season 6 episode 12.

TRIGGER WARNING: homophobia, profanity 

—————————————————————

"Burt," Blaine had cried hysterically on the curb outside the hospital for 10 minutes before he calmed himself enough to pull out his phone and call Burt. "I'm at the hospital." Blaine started to tear up again. "It's Kurt. They ran him over. It's bad..." Blaine breaks down crying again.

"Wait there. I'm coming." Burt says in a rushed worried voice. Burt hangs up the phone, grabs his coat and runs out the door.

Kurt. Oh no. I can't lose my son. I can't lose my son.

—————————————————————

Blaine was still sitting at the curb when Burt arrives. "What are you doing out here?" Burt asks.

"They won't let me in. They say I'm not family." Blaine says, his face still red and puffy. 

"What? You two are married!" Burt exclaims angrily.

"Ya, well, the nurse reminded me we're in Ohio. We're not legally married here." Blaine says looking back down at the ground, upset that that was the sad reality and there was nothing he could do about it.

"Oh no they don't! Come on!" And Burt storms into the ER.

Burt marches straight up to the counter with Blaine on his heels. The same nurse that kicked Blaine out is there. "Burt Hummel. I'm looking for my son, Kurt Hummel."

The nurse looks at her papers quick and then up at Burt. "Of course. Through the doors–"

Burt didn't wait for the rest of the answer. He went to go through those doors that they took Kurt through what seems like a lifetime ago to Blaine, and yet, feels like it was just a second ago.

As Burt walks towards those doors, Blaine follows.

"Stop." The nurse says loudly, "Family only. He," pointing to Blaine, "can't go."

Burt stops, "Now you listen to me." Burt says angrily pointing at the nurse, "This," he said pointing at Blaine, "is my son-in-law. This is my son's husband! He's family." Burt grabbed Blaine's hand, "Let's go."

"I'll call security!" The nurse calls out as Burt pushes through the double doors.

Burt calls it one last thing, "Fuck you!" as the pair go through the doors.

—————————————————————

The pair find Kurt's room. Blaine looks to see his husband, laying there. His limbs are in the right places now, wrapped in bandages. 

"Oh, Kurt." Blaine says sadly as he pulls a chair up to his husband's bed, sits down, grabs Kurt's hand, and breaks down crying again. 

Burt is frozen at the door. He can't believe he's here again. The last time, when Kurt was attacked in New York, by the time he got there they knew he was going to be ok and Kurt was awake and talking. This time, Kurt lays frozen in the bed, and Burt gets a flash image of his wife when the monitor flatlined. 

A doctor comes up behind him and Burt makes his way through the doorway. The doctor enters as well. 

"Father, I presume." The doctor says to Burt. Burt nods. He then turns to Blaine, "And... brother?" 

Blaine wasn't sure if he should just keep his mouth shut in fear of getting kicked out again, but he said it anyway, "Husband."

"Ahhh..." The doctor said. It wasn't mean, it was just surprised. The doctor continued, "Surgery went well, but we're not sure when he'll wake up. It's really hard to say right now." He turns to Burt, "Anything we should know about his medical history?"

"Umm..." Burt was starting to tear up. "His mother died of cancer." 

"Ok." The doctor glanced regretfully at Blaine, looking like he didn't want to say the next thing, "You are also aware that all medical decisions are up to you." The doctor said gesturing at Burt. 

"No!" Burt yells, then realizing he over-reacted, calms down, "No. He," pointing to Blaine, "makes the decisions. Spouses are next of kin."

"Alright, I'll get the paperwork for you to sign to make it legal." The doctor was avoiding Blaine's eyes, but Blaine didn't even notice. His sole focus was on Kurt. 

—————————————————————

Burt and Blaine sat with Kurt for a while, the sound of the monitor beeping, and the doctors and nurses rushing by. Carole joined them at the hospital. They had few words between them, just hugs... and tears.

Blaine was sitting by Kurt, holding and rubbing his hand. Burt and Carole were in the room, when the nurse walked by. Burt saw her first, "Blaine." he says. They both look up at her. Through the glass, she gives Blaine the sink eye; a look of hatred. Blaine's heart starts beating out of his chest even though he knew she couldn't do anything anymore, Kurt was allowed visitors now. 

"Who is that?" Carole asks. Blaine just puts his head back down after the nurse passes. 

Burt is the one to speak, "A nurse. She wouldn't let Blaine in to see Kurt because... he wasn't family. Because gay marriage isn't legal in Ohio."

"Oh my god!" Carole gasps and raises her hand to her mouth. 

Blaine doesn't move from he seat next to  Kurt, nor does he raise his head, but he starts to sing, "🎶Me and all my friends, we're all misunderstood / They say we stand for nothing and, there's no way we ever could / Now we see everything that's going wrong, with the world and those who lead it / We just feel like we don't have the means, to rise above and beat it..."

A slow version of "Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer starts playing. 

Burt joins in at the chorus, "🎶So we keep waiting, waiting on the world to change..." 

They sing, Carole joins as well, all looking at Kurt, waiting for things to change.