This can't be goodbye (Klaine) Part 1

Summary: Kurt is injured in a horrible incident that lands him in the hospital. Blaine, Burt and Carole realize how homophobic the world still is.

Author's Note: I'd just like to say, that if glee existed in our world, gay marriage would already be legal by the time this story takes place. However, Glee, while it follows some things in the real world, is obviously not in our world (or Sue would be vice president and Rachel would be winning a Tony about now). So, in my fanfic, gay marriage is not yet legal in the US in the glee world. Thanks.

Takes place between time jumps season 6 episode 13 (Winter Break for Kurt's graduating year of NYADA), about a week after "Need to be close to you"/"I thought about it once Part 2" fic.

SPOILERS for season 6 episode 12.

TRIGGER WARNING: homophobia, homophobic language (the word used is an offensive gay slur, I do NOT endorse use of the word), graphic description of wounds

—————————————————————

It was the day after Christmas and Kurt and Blaine were still in Lima.

They had another week left before they were heading back to NYC because rehearsals for the show Kurt was in were starting. He was only part of the ensemble, but it was broadway, and Kurt was excited to finally book a show. 

The couple was walking in town, arms linked. They were flirty. They never used to act this way before they left Lima, but now that they lived in 'the big apple', they got used to being able to show a bit of PDA.

When they reached the street corner, Blaine gave Kurt a peck on the lips. It was just a small peck, but when Blaine leaned in to do it, he forgot he was in Lima, Ohio, not New York, New York. Gay marriage still wasn't even legal here. 

But the couple was in their own little bubble. Absorbed by each other's eyes, they had to break eye contact to cross the street.

They started crossing, hand in hand, and then all of a sudden, there is squeaking of tires, a car flying towards them, a man's voice shouting, "Die you fags!" 

Another voice screamed, "Blaine!" Blaine felt something push him, then he was on the ground and from behind him he heard a CRASH! Then more tires squealing as it sped down the road.

Blaine was dizzy and disoriented for a second, then he pushed himself off the pavement and turned around. "KURT!" he yelled when he saw the body, bloody and bent in all the wrong places, laying in the middle of the street.

He rushed up to him, "Kurt, Kurt, oh my god, Kurt." Blaine was afraid to touch him.

"Help! Help! Someone call 911!" He cried. People had stopped on the sidewalks to stare and point at the scene in the middle of the street. Someone came out to make sure the cars were stopped. Another was on the phone with 911, "Bring an ambulance quick; the boy doesn't look good."

Blaine was still on the ground hovering over his husband, "Kurt, Kurt..." he begged, "Stay with me, baby." Kurt didn't move or make a sound.

The crowd had formed a circle around the body by the time Blaine heard the sirens. The paramedics made their way through the crowd. "Sir, move back so we can help him." One of the paramedics said. She was young, about Blaine's age, with straight brown hair that swooped and blocking Blaine's view of Kurt. 

Blaine backed off and watched as she and her partner checked out Kurt. "He's breathing." She announced.

Blaine took a breath of relief. He wasn't dead. Kurt wasn't dead... yet. But he couldn't think like that. 

The paramedics carefully put him on the backboard and lifted him up. Blaine stayed by his side as they lifted him up into the ambulance.

"Coming with us, right?" The female paramedic asked.

Blaine was so out of it, it took him a second to process, then he said, "Ya. Ya." and followed them into the ambulance.

Never once during the ride does Blaine take his eyes off his husband. Kurt's not moving at all, if it wasn't for the heart monitor beeping again and again at a steady rate, it would look like he was dead.

It was a short ride to the hospital but every moment seemed like an eternity to Blaine. Blaine stared a Kurt's face, his lip bloody and his face dirty and scratched, but Blaine dared not look at Kurt's body again. The image of his backward legs and blood seeping through his clothes was already stained into his mind. He wanted to ask the paramedic if she thought he'd be ok, but he didn't want to hear the answer.

They finally make it to the hospital and got out of the ambulance in a rush. Blaine stayed as close to Kurt's side as he could as they wheeled him into the ER.

Kurt's bed gets handed from the paramedics to the doctors and nurses of the hospital. As they head towards a set of doors, another nurse, who came out from behind the counter, goes to stop Blaine from going with them. "Family only." she says.

"I am family!" Blaine said trying to get through; he watched as they wheel Kurt through the doors.

"What is your relation to the patient?" She asks calmly. Blaine is freaking out, he wants to stay with Kurt. He doesn't want to leave him, and he was already out of sight.

"I'm his husband, now please, let me through!" Blaine tried to push by but the nurse blocked him. Blaine was panicked. Kurt. Kurt. He needed to stay with Kurt. He didn't make eye contact with the nurse; he was still staring at the doors.

"I'm sorry sir I can't let you through. You aren't family." Blaine finally looked at the nurse. She was an older woman, around 60, and decently overweight.

"What? I just told you. He's my husband. We're married." Blaine felt like he couldn't breath.

"Not here your not! This is Ohio. You have no relation to the patient." She stayed calm, but Blaine could see the disgust in her eyes now.

"You homophobe! LET ME THROUGH!" Blaine pushed himself past the woman.

"Security!" She called out. The next thing Blaine knew he was being held by two men and they were pulling him away from the set of doors. Blaine struggled, but he is no match for the two men. "Take him out!" the nurse said.

"No. NO! You BITCH! That's my husband!" Blaine screams in the middle of the emergency room as the security men dragged him towards the exit. "I need to be with him." Blaine started to sob as he felt the cold air of outside.