Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I probably do," I said. My eyebrows furrowed suddenly. "Do you know who found me?" I asked, remembering someone coming and holding me while putting pressure on my wound.

"Yes, actually. It's was a man name Juzo Shima. Do you know him?" I nodded.

"He's one of my friend's older brothers." She nodded and gave me a small smile.

"Well, try and get some rest. You won't be able to have visitors other than family until tomorrow, but there were a few people eagerly awaiting news about you." I nodded and smiled, knowing who she was talking about. With that, she told me to get some rest and feel better before leaving the room.

Tobias came over and resumed his spot by my side. I smiled and took his hand. He gave me a small and obviously forced smile. "Do you remember anything else now that you have a little more information?" Tobias asked gently. I looked up at the ceiling, thinking long and hard.

"It's all really fuzzy right now," said softly, trying to think.

"That's okay," he assured quickly.

"Uh, I remember getting a shower on the floor above," I said. "Is that where Juzo found me?" Tobias nodded in conformation. "And then-and then I went downstairs but realized I didn't have my rings or necklace." My eyes widened at my own words.

"It's okay, the rings are here," my father said, tapping the desk beside him.

"I want them," I said. Seeing my urgency, my father got the rings out of the plastic bag they were in and help me put them on. I inspected them carefully and breathed a sigh of relief when I found them to be in perfect condition. "After that, I went upstairs to get them, but a man that wasn't there before grabbed me," I continued the memories becoming clearer now. "He wanted the rings, and it was the same guy who attacked me and Bon when we were on a different mission," I finished quickly, the new information scaring me.

"Clam down, (Y/N)," my dad said, putting a hand on my forehead. "You're fine. You just need to relax and get to feeling better," he instructed softly, but I knew his instructions were to be obeyed. "I'm sure all your friends are going to want to see you as soon as they can, so get some rest. It won't be any fun to see them if you're overtired." I nodded at his words and closed my eyes, quickly dropping off to sleep.

{Line Break}

"Ow," I hissed and grabbed at my side. Pain spiked up my side as I pulled all thirty two stitches in my side.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry, sweetheart," the nurse apologized. "There's really no good way to go about this," she admitted. She was currently trying to get me sit up so I could interact with my friends when they visited in a few minutes. They were actually out in the hallway, but I didn't want them to see me completely immobilized. I at least wanted to sit up while they were here. "You really shouldn't even be sitting up yet," she muttered. I glared at her, and she chuckled.

After a few painful attempts, she got me sitting up and propped against a few pillows. She then put a pillow behind my head, and I was able to relax fully. "Ready?" the nurse asked, and I nodded enthusiastically. It been only a few days since I saw them, but I missed them already. I missed Bon most of all.

In just a few seconds, my friends were in the room and assaulting me with just as many hugs as questions. Wow. They were that worried about me? I mused silently, waiting for them to settle down. When they had finally settled down, I took in their faces and expressions. They all looked exhausted and worried, but there was also a hint of relief. I frowned when there was one face that I didn't see. Of all people, Bon wasn't here.

"Where's Bon?" I asked anxiously, wanting to make sure my boyfriend was okay. "Is he okay?"

"Define 'okay,'" Shima said quietly while scratching the back of his head. "He took everything really hard and says it's his fault even when everyone tells him there was nothing he could do. Bon's just being Bon," he explained. I frowned. Bon was being a hypocrite. He always tells me not to best myself up over things I can't control, and here he goes blaming himself for the act of a madman.

"That idiot," I growled.

"You know Bon," Shima said with a slight chuckle, scratching the back of his neck nervously. I folded my arms over my chest with a huff but winced when I pulled at my wound. That set just about everyone into a frenzy, making sure I was okay. I didn't like them constantly worrying about me.

"Would you guy stop worrying?" I snapped without thinking. "I'm alive aren't I?" That received silence until Shiemi promptly burst into tears. I stared at her, eyes wide in shock.

"Do you know how worried we were about you?" she wailed. "Y-you could have died from a wound like that and you ask us to stop worrying?" I was beyond shocked. I had never seen the girl act like this before.

I could have died. I could have have died. I. Could. Have. Died. That kept repeating over and over again in my head like a mantra. I put a hand on my eyes, the severity of the situation finally setting in. Tears started to form at the corners of my eyes, and soon my whole frame was shaking with silent sobs.

"I didn't mean to make you cry, (Y/N)," Shiemi sobbed. I waved her apology away.

"I'm not crying because of what you said, Shiemi. I promise," I said, looking over at the girl. She sniffed and wiped her tears away. "I guess I just didn't realize how serious this all is until now," I admitted quietly. She nodded and came to sit on the edge of my bed. I took her shaking hands in my own. "Thank you for smacking some sense into me, Shiemi," I said through a quiet laugh. She laughed too, a few tears making their way down her rosy cheeks again. "I didn't realize you cared so much," I said. With that, she threw her arms around me in a tight hug. I grimaced in pain, but didn't make a sound, not wanting her to feel guilty for hurting me.

"We've always cared," Shima said, crossing his arms over his chest. Next to him, Konekomaru nodded fiercely, giving me a small smile.

"Yeah, (Y/N)," Rin said. "We've always cared, and we always will. Plus," he said, coming over to stand next to the bed. "You're like the little sister I never asked for," he said while ruffling my hair, causing me to laugh.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rin." He laughed at that. The rest of the time was spent with smiles on our faces and the room filled with laughter, but I was still emotionally hurt. Why is Bon blaming himself? It's not his fault. There was nothing he could do. Does he think I don't want to see him? Does he think I blame him for what happened?

Far sooner than I would have liked, visiting hours were over, and the nurse came in to shoo my friends out the door. "Shima!" I called before he slipped out the door. "First, tell Juzo I said thank you. And tell Bon he's being a hypocrite, and I want to see him. You can use those exact words." Shima nodded and slipped out the door. I sighed and leaned against the pillows, feeling exhausted. I looked out the window at the setting sun.

This hospital stay is going to last forever.

Well, there ya go! I know a well is a long time (is for me anyway), but maybe I'll change it if I don't hit writer's block. We'll see. See you next week!