chapter forty - unedited

chapter forty: the loneliness
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

Everything was dark and cold. I was alone and Jin was long since lost in the endless dark of the night.

It had all happened so fast and I wasn't even able to understand what happened in the first few minutes.

All me and Jin had been able to hear was the sound of running water in the distance.

The two of us had been lying down for the night, ready to get a great night's sleep so that we would have enough energy in the morning.

But we weren't able to get sleep because the stars and the moon were seemingly turned off.

There was no more light in the arena and everything was engulfed in darkness.

Jin wasn't able to contact Namjoon anymore so we weren't sure if this was a part of the arena, if this was an accident or if this was actually Namjoon preparing for the extraction.

Jin had explained to me what was going on in some ways and while I still was a bit confused, I refused to inquire about this particular subject in the arena.

All I knew was that we would survive the arena together and that Namjoon would be helping us.

I didn't know why, I didn't know how it had come to this or what their connection to the capital was but at the moment I was willing to believe that they were victims just like me.

Okay, maybe a part of me suspected that they knew more than Jin let on, but the arena was no place for speculations.

The darkness was only the beginning because what soon followed was worse.

Earthquakes, although minor, strong enough to force you to find shelter.

And that's what me and Jin had tried before we were separated.

Now I was alone, weaponless, and confused.

I continued walking down a path, reaching out both of my hands so that they would help me find my way through the dark.

Yes, I did have matches but I was also weaponless, meaning that if I did encounter a tribute it would mean the end for me.

The entire left side of my face was sticky with blood that had dripped down from the wound on my head.

While running away with Jin, rocks had rained down upon us und and while Jin did try to protect me with his body, I still managed to get hit.

Perks of being Y/n.

My vision was somewhat blurry but for some reason, I was no longer tired at all.

Before the 'earthquake' all my body wanted was rest, now all I wanted was to move forward as quickly as possible.

My steps were sloppy and I was tripping every second step. Nevertheless, something kept me going.

Going to where? Going until I heard the dreaded canon sound in the distance.

Someone had died, but I had a feeling that more people would die today.

Something told me that today was the finale. The arena would end today or tonight to be precise.

Or maybe it would end for me, maybe my time in the arena was up and the others would continue without me.

Somehow that thought made me sad...not just because I didn't want to die or because I wanted to make it home to Jisung and the others.

It was just that part of me wanted to stay with these boys. My brain was probably a little damaged but never mind that happens to the best of us.

My brain couldn't comprehend why I wanted to stay with people that would only bring trouble my way, my heart on the other hand...

Well, the way it beat loudly was enough of an answer.

Maybe I had a crush on one of the boys or maybe I had gotten attached to their way of treating me?

I wasn't quite sure but all I knew was that I wanted to stay with them.

I guess it didn't matter what kind of a person one becomes attached to because once you feel something, anything for them, you never want to leave them.

And at that moment, I felt like I never wanted to leave those boys.

Kim Seokjin, the cold and ethereally beautifully ice prince.

Min Yoongi, the sometimes cruel but secretly soft boy with a scowl always present on his handsome face.

Jung Hoseok, the boy that I might have judged too quickly and thought he was the coldest and cruelest when he actually just turned out to be corrupt.

Park Jimin, the boy who pretended to be confident and uncaring that actually was one of the most innocent people in Panem.

Kim Taehyung, well I was still quite afraid of him because of the psychotic look in his eyes but he had also somehow gained my unwavering attention.

Jeon Jungkook, my district partner and friend that might be more important than I usually let on.

There was also Kim Namjoon swimming in the back of my mind but I wasn't exactly sure why.

He just made me so curious, he made me want to know all of his deepest and darkest secrets.

"You should sit down, Y/n. You're getting old and rest is required." I chuckled at my odd sense of humor, thinking about how everyone used to stare at me whenever I was talking to myself.

They didn't know that having a conversation with their inner self was always a useful thing.

Just as I was about to sit down straight on the ground, I felt a pair of arms roughly push me towards the floor.

"Hi bitch, remember me?" The voice standing above me in the dark definitely belonged to a female.

Sadly, my befuddled state didn't allow me to use common sense and realize that there were only two other females left.

Or one, depending on if one of them had died earlier today.

"Would it be rude if I said no?" I giggled while my head continued spinning in odd circles.

Why are all the trees moving? And why the hell is there no light?

"Y/n, you have no idea how much I'm going to make you suffer." And with that, a torch was ignited, shining light right into my face.

It also revealed that the person standing above me was none other than Kim Jihal, a pretty dagger in her delicate hand.