chapter thirty nine - unedited

chapter thirty-nine: the distraction of Jin
UNEDITED—

KIM SEOKJIN

The run towards the Forrest seemed to be extra slow with Y/n who seemed to have lost the will to do everything.

She was still such a mystery to me, why would she care about Lisa's death so much?

Even after said tribute had attempted to kill her? Why was she so understanding?

Part of me believed that it had to be some sort of illness or disorder because it wasn't normal anymore.

And the other part of me yearned to be like she was because part of me still remembered how things had been before the drastic change in our lives.

I wasn't born the way I was now, no, at first I was actually quite a sweet boy if you would believe it.

I always picked flowers for my beautiful sister, I allowed my younger brother to play knights with me and of course, I was good to my parents.

But things just weren't good for long in Panem and soon enough, the disaster also struck my family.

Starting with my sister being reaped and eventually dying and ending with my brother committing suicide.

And the amazing parents that I once had turned into cold people that always wanted me to train, survive and win.

"Stop. I'm slowing down just by looking at you run." I commanded Y/n yanking her back so that she stood in front of me.

Her hair was covering part of her red face and she was spluttering inaudibly, not aware of how cute she really was.

Panic was set firmly in her gaze, something about her being upset made me upset.

I quickly ignored that feeling before placing my hands on her icy cold and tiny shoulders.

"No! We can't stop, we have to cause a distraction because..." she trailed off awkwardly, maybe because she was not exactly sure what was happening.

"We don't necessarily have to kill Taeyong to cause a distraction, Y/n. There are other ways." I sighed wearily, looking at her with raised eyebrows.

Y/n's face seemed to flush in realization and something about her reaction distracted me, which was not a very smart move.

Because in the next moment, Y/n had tackled me to the ground.

We were in this position. Again.

My eyes shot open, immediately pushing her off me and rolling us over so that I was on top.

Being in control suited me more so it was definitely not hard to see why I preferred this position.

While I decided to play somewhat fair, only using strength and no weapons, Y/n seemed to have found a way of injuring without a weapon.

Well, theoretically her mouth also counted as a weapon because as soon as she bit into my arm as hard as she could, I swore that no sword was even able to cause pain on this level.

"Ahh! You crazy witch!" I screamed dramatically since causing a scene was exactly what we needed at the moment.

But I might have underestimated Y/n's intense desire to cause me harm because this girl continued to bite and scratch me as if there was no tomorrow.

Because I saw myself as a fairly merciful being, I let her have her way with the biting and scratching until she finally collapsed next to me.

Without hesitating, I snatched the small and jagged mirror from my backpack to check if she had harmed my beautiful face.

"Jin, do you think that was enough 'distraction' Y/n whispered, using those big eyes of hers to make her seem so innocent.

Well, she looks quite pretty doing that...tch

"Yah! It better be enough, my beautiful face is not scratched for nothing." I hissed, pulling her closer to me by her arm.

It seemed as if Y/n was uncomfortable with being too close, for some reason I couldn't deny the prick in my heart.

She had her head cast downward, her hair falling off very her face, and her arms raised in a bit of a protective stance.

So cute.

"Why?" The question was unexpected and even confused me quite a bit, but deep down I knew what she was asking.

Maybe it was the feeling I was able to make out on her face most of the time but I knew it all too well.

Insecurity and fear, mostly fear.

She was wondering why she was still alive and why I, the brutal district one tribute hadn't killed her yet.

This was the way she perceived me and probably the others too, we were brutal tributes with a secret.

And will she was quite right about us after all, something didn't sit right with me. Part of me didn't want him to think about me like that.

Yes, I wanted her to look at me and think: wow someone to admire.

It was silly because she was just a little girl and I was like her, one insignificant boy playing a dangerous game.

Because apart from Namjoon who was very important, none of us were valuable.

That was why we were sent into the arena, after all, we were useless after having done our job correctly.

This whole 'game' in the arena was just a way to pay back the someone who helped us with district 13.

And we were the disposable tributes sent to execute orders, like the soldiers we were.

We were just like soldiers in wars, the ones that did the most and the ones that died.

Unlike Namjoon who would have a purpose even after the arena, our job would be completed then.

So, why was Y/n still alive? Because if we were already insignificant, then what would you call her?

Comparing her to us, Y/n was the epitome of being insignificant. But today that didn't seem like such a bad thing, not to me at least.

"I don't know why and you don't have to either...let's just take it as it is," I told her somewhat sternly because I wanted her to understand that I didn't have the answer.

No one had the answer.

"That's enough now, go find the others. Jihal is very injured and won't survive much longer. Jennie was already on her death bed and she's a goner as well. All you guys have to do is take care of Lee Taeyong." Namjoon told me through the mic and I nodded.