Chapter 53: A Hero's Last Wish, Ryu's Growth As A Hero

Start from the beginning

Ryu walked the halls before he took notice of the security guards that were stood in front of a room and on top of the door the room was labeled 'quarantined'. He marched towards the door and caught the attention of the guards as they turned towards him.

"You can't be here, sir. This area is--GAHHH!" The first guard spat up before falling on the floor as Ryu had punched him in the gut.

"H-Hey--! AHH!!" The other guard groaned in pain as he was kneed in the stomach as well before tossed at the guard on the floor.

Ryu turned towards the door and looked through the window to see Eri laying on the bed with her eyes closed. He slid open the door and shut it before searing it shut by radiating energy in his hand. He walked to the bed and stood at her side as he stared down at her.

Play Song At Top For Rest of Chapter, If It Stops Early Or You're A Slow Reader Just Restart

"...I'm sorry I couldn't be there sooner..." He said lowly as he clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. "Had I saved you before...had I been against Y/N's word and taken you from that man...you wouldn't be here...you'd be..." Ryu's voice cracked a bit as a single tear streamed off his face.

"...wh-...why..." He heard a weak voice as his eyes darted towards Eri's face and saw she had woken up a bit. "...why are you...crying...?" She asked weakly as Ryu crouched down so he was eye level with her.

"I'm not crying...I just had some dust in my eyes..." He said as he rubbed his eyes before placing one gently on her cheek. "Are you okay?" He asked.

What stunned him was when she let out a smile and had tears in her eyes as her small hand went up to hold Ryu's.

"you...came....t-to..." She spoke weakly as Ryu began to tremble from the emotions he was feeling towards her. "...to save...me..." She said with a weak and teary faced smile as Ryu hung his head to hide his face.

"...Yeah...I came for you...I'll always come to save you...No matter what..." He said as he reached his other hand up to place it on top of her hand.

"...Where...I go...now...?" She asked him as he shot his head up to her.

"............" Ryu stared at her for a moment closing his eyes and wiping the tears that escaped him. "You can come with me. I'll keep you safe. I swear my life on it." Ryu said as he was fully determined to give his life for her and made her smile before she teared up.

She began to weep and sob as Ryu came closer to her and gave her a kiss on the forehead as she cried more.

"I promise to keep you safe. I'll make sure no one ever hurts you again...That you can grow up...And live a happy life..." Ryu said as she sobbed louder.

"...yeah..." She sobbed before Ryu gave her one more kiss before leaning back.

"...Get some rest. You deserve it, after saving me back there." He said with a smile which surprised Eri before she sniffled and wiped her tears.

"yeah." She nodded before he gave her one last kiss and pulled the blankets onto her as she fell back asleep, but with a more peaceful smile.

Ryu stood back up and let out a heavy sigh as he stared out the window and saw the bright blue sky in front of him.

"Quite the little girl, if I say." He heard as someone stepped next to him and stared out the window as he saw in the reflection it was Whis. "If he's still out there, it'd be in your best interest for you to return with us to continue your training....If you are to keep your promise to her." He said as Ryu turned to leave.

"I'll return on one condition..." He said as he stood in the door way and Whis turned towards him. "She comes with me. No questions asked." He offered his deal as Whis stared at the girl before nodding.