Prologue

I just couldn’t believe it.

10 hours ago, everything was perfectly fine. Now it was a total chaos and it was my fault. Everything was my fault.

I didn’t know what to do. I just stared at the white walls that surrounded me. More tears filled my eyes as I thought about what had happened. I couldn’t take it anymore and that’s when I started sobbing uncontrollably. I just felt a pair of arms wrap around me and in that moment I just wanted to run away, but I knew that running away from your problems is never good. I wanted to forget about that though and I wanted to forget everything that was happening to me right now.

After crying my eyes out and soaking my best friend’s sweater for the second time I finally calmed down a bit. I heard a phone ringing and I turned to look at her.

She quickly answered it before it makes more noise in the quiet hallways. I could hear her talking, but I wasn’t paying attention. I was too busy remembering what had happened a few minutes ago for like the millionth time.

“Bree, I need to go. Are you going to be okay?” My best friend, Emily, asked. I just turned to her and looked directly in her eyes. I wanted to speak, but not a single word would come out of my mouth. “I’ll stay with you if you want.” She said.

I nodded, “Please stay.” I managed to say, but it came out as a whisper. “I can’t be alone right now. I’m sorry.” I said.

She shook her head. “It’s totally fine, babe. I understand.” She said as she hugged me again.

We stayed there in silent for a while until a young woman dressed in white came walking towards us. She handed me a few papers and told me to fill them out. I tried to smile a bit but I failed. I nodded as I grabbed the papers. She was so sweet.

Emily helped me filled them out and when we were done we handed them back to the young woman.

“Thank you.” She replied. “You can go home now.” She said after. “Once again, I’m very sorry Bree.” The look in her eyes was so sincere.

I nodded and stood up from the chair, walking with Emily to her car. We got inside and drove to my house in silent. Once we were there, I got out and looked at her.

“Are you going to be okay?” She asked once again.

I nodded, “Yeah, I want to be alone now. Thank you Emily, for everything.”

“No problem, love. That’s why I’m here for.” She replied. I walked to my front door and turned to look at her as she drove away. I let out a big sigh; once again tears were filling my eyes. I opened the door and went directly to my room. I lay on the bed and started crying for the billionth time that day. It is true when they say that you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.

I stood up from my bed and change my clothes. I look at the clock in my bedside table and stare at the green numbers. 11:55 pm.

I let out a big, shaky breath and walk towards my baby brother room. I stare at his bed and smile a little at the memory of him and his weird ways of sleeping. His bedside table caught my attention next. Some of his toys were there and I remember how messy he liked to be. His favorite blanket was there too, so I decided to take it with me. Then, I walk to his closet. I open the doors and passed my hand through all his little clothe. I’m really going to miss my baby brother.

After I’m done going through all his stuff, I decided to take a look at my parent’s room as well.  As soon as I get inside, I lay on their big, comfy bed. Their scent was still there and tons of memories came to my mind. I look around their room, just as I did with John’s, my baby brother. I walk to their closet and look at their clothes. A nice, old sweater that belonged to my dad catches my attention. I took it and put it on. It was really comfortable so I decided to stay with it. After grabbing a nice dress that fit me perfectly from my mother, I closed the door to the walking closet and sat on their bed once again. I wanted stuff that I could use that reminded me of them, but of course I would never forget them.

I look around the big room and that’s when I ask to myself. What am I going to do now? Who am I going to live with? I’m not 18 yet, so I can’t live on my own.

I sigh and look at the clock. 12:30 am. But then something catches my attention. An old picture of my mom and…

Could I possibly live with him?