Hunting (C40)

I wake up at the crack of dawn ready to train. It felt odd training by myself without Jay, Hunter or even Micheal. I ignore the sense of loneliness that was surrounding me and continue to sprint through the fields around the pack territory. My dad wasn't kidding about the improved security there were guards all over the place even at this hour. "Ms.King" most of the guards would say as they bow their heads to me.

As the sun began to rise I head back to the pack house to shower and look somewhat presentable before the day began.

I shower with no interruption due to my lack of having a phone, I change into some clothes that were comfortable yet suitable for any situation. I walk down the stairs and before even hitting the second step the aroma from my mom cooking breakfast hits me causing my mouth to drool. I quicken my pace and arrive at the table to see my parents as well as Jays dad. Jays mom had died in a rogue attack when we were younger. "Have a good run this morning" Alpha asks as I sit. I nod while taking a few pieces of bacon "Good to see you working out now kid heard you even run laps around your old man" Cale says with a small laugh. I blush not sure what to respond "Beginners luck" my dad smiles. It was weird seeing him smile. It felt so out of place being here, my own parents felt as distant to me as any other member of the pack. Sitting at my own kitchen table I felt like a guess. 

"Let's hope she's as ready she thinks she is" Alpha says. This was my chance to prove myself  not only to my alpha but to our pack. I was 18 now and was the soon to be Kings alpha.

We finish up breakfast and head out to our packs version of the clearing. As we approach I notice a few people standing in the clearing, we walk closer to see three guys standing wearing a black training uniform.

"Aaliyah you wanted to help with the situation, no one is more concerned than these three I'll allow them to introduce themselves. Don't be afraid to be hard on her guys" Alpha says before walking away with Cale.

I stand there awkwardly with these what seem to be grown men. They each stand there awaiting my instructions. "Why don't you guys go ahead and introduce yourselves so I can get to know you all" I say as if I were a school teacher"well... I'm Brett and my mate Tina went missing " he says clearly devastated. He looks around at the others "We all had our mates stolen and will do whatever it takes to find them" I look to see the other two nodding their heads "Im Colton and my mate Anna was pregnant when she was taken...it's been two months and still no sign of her" his lip tightens as her name slips from his mouth. He steps back and allowed the next one to talk "I'm Stephen and my mate was also pregnant when she was taken" so Brett and his mate were newly weds and the other two were pregnant.

"Okay good" What not good??!! "I mean thank you for that." They all nod their heads and continue to stand in their line.

"did you guys have pictures of them?  incase I see something I want to be able to identify them" as if it were rehearsed they each pull a picture of their mates out.

Colton shows me his picture first "Her names Anna" I make sure to memorise her face. I nod then move onto Brett "This is Tina" he shows me a tan woman with a curled bob. I nod and move onto Stephen "This is Sarah"  his photo was of a fair skinned woman with freckles and light brown hair.

"Okay so what have you done so far to find them?" I ask not wanting to reuse old methods "We've tracked from where they were taken to out about 300ks" they point out over the mountains "And where were they taken from?" I ask as it was a vital piece of information "Down past the clearing near the trees during training hours" Brett explains "Could you explain to me what happened?" I ask "We had pack training but I was given a dismissal to take care of Sarah, but we had an argument so I left her in the room. I remember her calling out after me and slowly following me but I didn't bother looking back I stormed off and when I got back from training she wasnt there" Stephen explains his story.

"A few days later Anna went missing she was walking around the mountains, she said the mountain air was good for her and the baby which I thought was ridiculous" I could sense the love Colton had for her judging by their playful interactions "But she gave me a lecture about women being able to be independent and because it was so early we weren't notified about the disappearances, so I allowed her to go for a walk while I went out training, when I returned from training she still hadn't come back for hours I searched the entire mountain and she wasnt there" he says with clear hurt in his eyes.

"Tina and I were on the tracking team helping locate these guys although I wanted her to stay back in the territory with the others she refused. We ended up staying till really late. I wasn't sure at what time she was taken but when the team re grouped she was gone. I was furious I wanted to know who was meant to be with her while she was tracking and why didn't we detect their scent is what pissed me off the most" Brett says. Huh untraceable? How could you not smell a rogue if you were that close.

I stand there pacing  trying to figure out a logical answer as to why highly trained Trackers and Hunters weren't able to detect the kidnapper or why hadn't Tina screamed or mind linked her Mate to come rescue her. I begin biting at my nail. When we were in Ayala I detected the rogues without a hitch their scent was vile. Why would a pack of rogues be targeting female wolves and how are they able to go undetected.

I sit there trying to piece this together and then it finally hits me, I wasn't one hundred percent sure but this was the only lead I had "What is it" Stephen asks probably seeing my change in expression "I-I'm not one hundred percent sure this is the answer we're looking for but I think the reason you and the other highly skilled trackers were unable to detect the rogue is because it isn't a rogue, it's another female wolf that's why all the male rogues that were Hunting Caroline Ace were so easy to detect. And Tina couldn't mind link you because she was likely unconscious. You must have been too far from her to realise that the female scent wasn't hers but the other trackers wouldn't have noticed  because your mates scent is most powerful to you" I explain "God I-I never thought about that" Brett says looking hopeful "Thanks Aaliyah for giving us something to hold on to" Colton says smiling "Don't thank me yet. Thank me after we find your mates".