20. Warm Hearts

Eva slowly put her coat on, possibly out of a reluctance to spend an hour and a half with her parents, although knowing she would get to spend it worth George was almost worth it. Every second with him was precious to her.

George put on a jacket that for once was not his Memeulous hoodie, and her parents came out of the bedroom, ready to leave.

"Ready to go, Mum?" Eva asked, almost sarcastically. Her mother nodded and followed both Eva and George out of the flat and into the lift, alongside her husband. An awkward silence sat stubbornly in the lift as the ride dragged on. Eva could see the judgemental look her mother was giving George simply by looking at the mirror that surrounded them. Knowing George must've felt uncomfortable, she tenderly grabbed his hand and squeezed it, making him smile.

After an eternity of waiting, the doors of the lift opened, causing Eva to sigh a breath of relief and enter the oddly quiet ground floor of the building, still holding George's hand.

"So George and I decided that we are going to take you to our favourite place to eat. It's just around the corner, so we can walk," Eva smiled, squeezing George's hand again. George nodded along; in reality, he was too nervous to decide where they were going to eat in case it made her parents not like him any more then they currently did, so he left it up to Eva.

George was not an insecure person. Generally, he was pretty confident and loud, and didn't care if people didn't like him. That was just the kind of guy he was. Whilst, yes, 'Memeulous' wasn't really George but more of a character - more confident, if that was possible, and cocky than himself normally, that character was very similar to himself. He was the inspiration. But he had to admit that he really wanted Eva's parents to like him. He had never wanted to be liked as much as he did by her parents, and he felt a pure desperation for their approval.

"And what place is that?" Mrs Grey mused, knowing it would not be a place that would be up to her standards. Her standards included at least 5 courses of small plates of food, each plate being at least £50 - any less might as well be fast food. It was safe to say Eva's choice would not be approved.

"Nandos," Eva grinned, making her mother grimace. Ignoring her reaction, she walked with George out of the building and led the way to Nandos.

● ● ● ●

A black booth awaited them as they took their seats, lead by a woman wearing a neat uniform, sitting in pairs as far away from each other as possible. Eva's mother seemed to be in a state of shock. But not the good kind. Everyone removed their coats, placing them neatly beside themselves.

"So, George," her father started, a friendly smile on his face. "What do you do for a living to afford such an expensive looking flat?"

"I uh...I work in entertainment," George stammered.

"What kind of entertainment?"

"I'm uh...an online personality...and video producer," George was unsure and nervous as to how to make 'YouTuber' sound like a better job than it really was. Reassuringly, Eva gently stroked the back of his hand with her thumb.

"Oh, like Eva, then? Is that how you two originally met?" Eva's mum piped up, seemingly interested in the conversation.

"Y-yeah," George was absolutely terrified of screwing up. Eva could see this, and whilst she was confused about how much this was impacting him, she knew she had to try to rescue him.

"George and I actually work in the same field, so moving here with him meant really helped my career," Eva smiled, and George gave a relived smile. Mrs Grey nodded slightly, her eyes shifting from George to the menu that she had laid on the table, just so she wouldn't have to be touching it.

"This seems like a really lovely place," Mr Grey smiled. "I've heard a lot about the piri piri chicken, so I'll just have that with the spiciest sauce they have and a...coffee, I think."

"I'll have the same, but with mild," Mrs Grey muttered just loud enough for the table to hear, disgust present in her voice. Eva nodded and got up, signalling George to join her as they went up to the till to order.

"You're doing great, George. You need to relax," Eva smiled, leaning into him as they stood behind a man who was ordering. George put his arm around her shoulders, kissing her cheek.

"I just want them to like me, you know? Didn't think I'd want it so bad," he sighed.

"My dad likes you, but nobody will impress my mother unless they went to Oxbridge and come from old money," Eva whispered slightly, and she watched as George relaxed slightly, seemingly reassured.

"I'm doing well though, right?"

"You're doing amazingly."

● ● ● ●

"Well that was lovely," Mr Grey smiled as he placed his cutlery on his plate to signify he was done, quickly followed by the rest of the party. Not that Eva's mother would've ever agreed, but she had thoroughly enjoyed the food also.

She loved the fact that Eva was happy. She even liked George a little because of how much he clearly loved her daughter, and seeing how much Eva loved him warmed her heart. It didn't hurt that he was wealthy anyway, as was Eva, which she had noted when seeing their large flat in a one of the most expensive parts of London.

"Are we ready to leave, then?" Eva began to put her coat on, as did everyone else, before all stood up and left with full stomachs and warm hearts.

● ● ● ●

"So that was successful," Eva mumbled, laying in his arms in his bed, against the headboard. A lamp sat on a bedside table lit the room, emitting a warmth that shone gently onto their faces.

"Was it? Your mum hates me," George dejectedly whispered back, looking straight ahead.

"Look at me, George," he looked at her. "First of all, I love you, and my dad loved you today! Second of all, not that she'd ever tell you, but I think that she's warming up to you."

He nodded slightly, noticing the change in her expression. A slight sadness.

"What is it, Eva?" his voice turned softer, more concerned.

"When I was in secondary school, I was bullied pretty badly for...God, this sounds pathetic...but, for being well off...and my parents always felt so guilty that they...they 'caused' it," Eva paused slightly, and George frowned, holding her slightly tighter to him. "I never had relationships or...well, even friends before I became a YouTuber, but now I have people who love me. I...I have you. And you make me feel so loved...and accepted..."

"God, I fucking love you so much, Eva," George blinked the tears in his eyes away, making sure his voice didn't crack.

"I'm so grateful for you, George. I love you so much."