•24•

Keith had Jacob and me see the doctor once we reached the pack house. So we headed straight for the infirmary while Kyle and the others went... I have no idea where they went to but I knew they were somewhere close.

I laid on my left side waiting for the doctor to finish attending to a little boy, she was trying to sooth him from crying after giving him an injection. As I waited, I watched as Jacob was being attended to on the other side. He luckily didn't have any broken bones just a few bruises and cuts which were already beginning to heal.

I pegged the fast healing to the fact that he was a werewolf. Nothing else can exactly explain why a human would be able to heal so fast expect they aren't really human. Which Jacob was.

I didn't realise that I'd been staring for a while until Jacob's eyes met mine. I was quick to avert my eyes from his and thank goodness, the doctor came just at the right time.

I never expected for Jacob and I to get awkward but we suddenly are. There's just something about him that I can't seem to get my mind off.

"How are you holding up?" The doctor asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I looked at her over my shoulder and smiled lightly, telling her I'm trying to cope with the pain.

She assured me that the healing would kick in soon and she was just going to stitch me up and apply some ointment to make sure it doesn't leave a nasty scar.

I listened to everything she had to say until I felt something cold touch my back then the burning effect of the antiseptic kicked in. I winced, biting my lips from the pain. My breathing became heavy and uneven as she continued to dab the swabs on my back. I soon got used to the pain, almost feeling nothing and just remained calm until she finished.

I decided to focus my attention on something else, or rather, someone. I looked over to where Jacob was being treated only to meet his eyes again. He was already looking at me with a small smile on his face.

His eyes held warmth and comfort. So much I couldn't help but smile back. I've barely known him for a day but I was starting to find some sort of comfort in him.

And that shouldn't be happening.

Not with him, not with anyone.

I had Axle to get back to and I won't give him up for anyone.

Not even my mate.

Which Jacob may be. I had no idea how to tell when someone was your mate or not so I couldn't exactly tell whether Jacob was my mate or not. I just felt this pull toward him. Just looking at him, I want to protect him.

I finally averted my eyes from him, pretending they were closed and waited for the doctor to be done. I took in a deep breath out of exhaustion and just then, the doctor spoke.

"We're all done."

My eyes snapped open.

"Really?" I asked, feeling thankful.

"Yup. It shouldn't take you so long to heal after this." She said, pulling her gloves off.

I pushed myself up to a sitting position and tried to look at the state of my back now but I could only get so far.

I assumed the doctor noticed my struggle to get a glimpse of how my back looked when she laughed lightly.

"Don't worry, you'll barely have any scars. You seem like a really strong shewolf. You just haven't tapped into your true self enough." She smiled causing me to smile back. Her statement though kept playing in my head.