•17•

"What the hell is wrong with you Alva?"

Were the first words that greeted me the minute I stepped foot into the house.

And if you guessed my mother to be the owner of that voice, you deserve a prize.

She was standing in front of me with her arms crossed. I looked around and saw everyone in the living room. Kyle was standing behind mom but he looked at me with support. I flashed him a small smile which he returned before I looked back at mom. She was angry, that I knew but did I care?

Not quite.

"What is it now mom?" I said with a bored tone. I knew she was going to reprimand me for leaving with Axle but I still had to pretend I didn't know.

"Don't ask me that. You know fully well why I'm like this." She paced a little before stopping in front of me. I was getting tried of standing and I felt like laying down.

"How could you leave with that boy knowing full well what he is not to you." She said, referring to Axle with something along the line of disgust. Her tone of voice really put me off.

"Don't talk about Axle like that. He has a name and if you can't use it don't mention him." I said, spitting every word out with command. She looked at me with total shock and I could see the underlying anger in her shocked eyes.

"Because of that boy who isn't even your mate, you're talking to me this way? What am I to you Alva?"

Okay, I did not see that coming.

Her demeanor totally changed and she went from angry to sad, and her words, they hit me hard. I looked away from her, thinking about what she just said. I had never spoken to her that way before.

"I only want what's best for you but you don't see it. I'm not your enemy my sweet baby." I looked at her and saw the tears that formed in her eyes. She held her right hand to her chest and reached out to me with the other.

I looked at her hand for some seconds before throwing myself into her arms. I hugged her tightly and whispered,

"I'm sorry mom. I really am."

She hugged me back and gently stroked my hair while she whispered,

"It's okay. Everything is okay." I smiled to myself feeling satisfied that she wasn't going to consider my words harshly anymore until she spoke again.

"So far as this is the last time you'll ever be seeing him, everything's okay. We'll leave and he'll be old news." I pushed her away from me the minute she finished speaking. I looked at her in horror before speaking.

"Why are you so mean?! You say you're thinking about me but you're not!" I yelled at her.

"Of course I'm thinking about you and I'm also thinking about the future of our people. Something you're meant to be doing but failing at. How are you going to be a good leader if you can't put aside your fantasy love for that boy." My mouth stood agape as she spoke, every word striking arrows in my heart.

Is this what she thinks of me?

"Is this.. This is what you think isn't it. You think I'm selfish." I breathed, my surprised and hurt not being hidden.

"Of course not darling. You're a brave girl but in this situation you're using your heart and not your head. You'll be putting many people's lives in jeopardy if this continues."

"What about my life? I had one before all of this you know." I stated through gritted teeth.

"A good leader would be able to make sacrifices." With that she turned away from me. "We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Be ready." Was all she said before finally walking away.