"Did you Alpha Command him?"

As soon as Jonathan's hasty whisper touched the air, Evan's eyes widened.

"What? Of course not!"

"Then how do you know he's not lying?"

Jon didn't really mean for his question to tumble out as abrupt as it did, and cringed when Evan stiffened.

The Alpha's glare darkened, and his lowered words made the Omega shiver.

"I don't need to use an Alpha Command to trust one of my oldest friends, Jonathan."

Jonathan swallowed the whine that attempted to crawl out, then sent another look toward Brock and Brian in the kitchen.

Nogla and Anthony had joined the couple, giggling and beaming as they cut stars, hearts, and gingerbread men out of the cookie dough. Nogla sported several flecks of the sugary dough, Anthony not faring much better as the dessert dappled his face. Brian had flour covering his hair and clothes, Brock's dark wings paled with the same powder.

Jonathan turned his careful stare back to Evan, the Alpha clearly still irritated by his question. Sighing, Jonathan straightened his back and rustled his wings, shaking them free of tension before scowling at Evan.

"I may not know them like you do, but I hope you know them well enough to find out who attacked me before they hurt someone else. Or worse."

Jonathan paused, watching as Evan's face contorted into a confused worry. Before the Alpha could speak, the Omega nimbly bounded up all the stairs and receded into his room, where he locked the door behind him.

***

Smitty nearly fell as his flushed face could do nothing but snort in laughter at John's antics. The Alpha was smirking as he tossed empty water bottles and beer cans off the balcony, whispering a "yeet" before bombing the unaware strangers. The both of them dove away from the edge after each startled yelp, muffling their laughs behind hands as a few people tried to yell up at them. It took Smitty several minutes before he could breathe again, wiping happy tears from his eyes. Once he quieted down though, he looked up to see John watching him with a smile.

"What?"

He challenged playfully, cocking a brow.

"You're so pretty when you laugh."

John said softly, leaning against the railing. Smitty felt heat dust his cheeks, but the blush faded when John's smile fell.
"I can't believe I almost lost you."

The comment was hardly a breath, and for a moment Smitty doubted if he had actually heard it. However, his doubts were dashed when John took a deep breath, turning to look over the city as he hid the tears rolling down his cheeks. If Smitty had been anyone else, he knew they wouldn't have noticed John's distress.

The two of them had spent so much time with each other that they were the only ones who could read the other like a book.

Smitty felt his heart ache as he looked at the man in front of him.

His bleached hair was swaying in the city breeze, green eyes holding all of the emotions he hid from the others.

The Alpha used the excuse of filling his lungs with his vape to wipe away at the salty streams.

The sweet-smelling cloud billowed playfully in front of him, a few tendrils snaking around his antlers.

"John, I'm still here,"

Smitty said softly, moving to lean his head softly on John's shoulder. He felt the Alpha relax slightly, then wrap his arm around Smitty's waist.

"I know,"
John sighed, his voice cracking slightly. He swallowed and cleared his throat, turning his gaze back toward Smitty.