24

ASHLEY

"There is something I need to tell you, my beautiful daughter..."

"What is it, mom?" I asked. I looked around and took a deep breath, preparing myself for any type of news.

"It's about... about Isaac."

"What about him, mom?"

"Isaac... Well... Honey, please sit down because this is a little hard to take in. Calm down, okay?"

"Mom, I am calm. Now, please explain." My voice was shaky. I felt nervous.

"Isaac is... Well, he's adopted, baby."

"He's what..? Oh my god, what? No... No way."

We heard a slight knock on the door and Isaac entered the room, "Babe, I got your fries."

"Oh, um, thank you."

"Did I interrupt something?"

"No, no. Just stupid mother-daughter things."

"Alright, you guys do your weird mother-daughter things, and I will go deal with the medical forms with Ian." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and left the room.

"Does he know?" I asked.

"No. I just wanted you to know... in case... in case anything happens to me."

"Mom, don't talk like that."

We heard the door open again.

"How are you feeling ma'am?" the doctor asked, my brother behind her.

"Much better, thank you." 

"I'm going to ask everyone to leave the room so the patient can rest for a while. You're much stronger than I thought, Mrs. Sanchez. I think, if you're really feeling better, you can leave tomorrow afternoon."

"Thank God," I whispered to myself. I heard my brother exhale in relief. We both left the room and hugged each other.

"See? I told you she'd get through it." Ian whispered, annoying me.

"Hmm... I don't remember, sorry." I laughed.

Isaac came by us. I don't know where he's been, probably flirting around. Yes, I had just learned that he was adopted but he doesn't know that and I'm not sure if it's my business to tell him. This also doesn't change the fact that he's a cheating husband, though. 

"I think you two should just go home. Mom's resting, anyways. Just come by tomorrow morning." Ian suggested.

I looked over at Isaac who just shrugged, "I guess. It's up to you."

"Sure. See you later, Ian." I gave him a hug and walked out with Isaac.

Walking out, I realized Isaac had a goofy smile plastered across his face.

"What is it...?" I asked, suspiciously.

"Hm..? Nothing..."

"Isaac.. What did you do..?!"

"I didn't do anything. But you seem very used to holding my hand."

This led my eyes to my hands. I was, in fact, holding hands with Isaac.

"I am not! You held my hands first!"

"Sure, baby girl," Isaac laughed, shaking his head.

His laughter was so rich. His cold smile was replaced by his usual boyish smile. He was... was he really changing?