Chapter 38 Samet - Just Dance

His words brought a much-needed smile to Maria's lips. "Can't a girl have a minute alone on the beach?"

Mitch stepped closer, his blonde hair and strong jaw standing out in the moonlight.

"Don't take Tom's speech to heart. His first time in Samet, he wanted to replace his ex. A few drinks later, he found someone, but the next night he caught her making out with another guy, and it crushed him."

Maria's eyes widened. Poor Tom. A second betrayal would devastate her. "What happened after?"

"Shawn, Daniel, and I calmed him down as he described what a bitch she was for hours. The poor woman didn't deserve to be the subject of his rants—not like a bar hook-up means anything—but it was pretty obvious he was talking more about his ex than her."

"That's sweet of you to stick with him."

Mitch laughed. "We thought we could turn it around but had no luck. I don't think Tom's been back to the island since that ordeal, so don't take his words personally." While running a hand through his hair, he kept his gaze on Maria.

She swallowed. "Thanks. So, did you follow me to make yourself look heroic or...?"

"We're heading to the first bar."

"They have this wild technology called a text message—"

He crossed his arms over his black t-shirt. "Okay, smartass, show me your phone."

When she ran her hands over her pockets, she came back empty-handed. Even her purse was at the restaurant. He extended her phone and bag.

"Thanks."

"We should go back. I told Tom you went the opposite way, and he'll be pissed when he figures out I lied."

Maria swatted Mitch playfully on the shoulder as they strolled to the road. "You're awful. No wonder he has a low opinion of you."

"This is his fault, and he needs time to reflect on it." Mitch's broad chest rose and fell with each breath.

She suppressed her laugh. "Teacher Mitch stepping in after hours."

"How else is Tom going to learn?"

"It wasn't just him who upset me." She gazed out at the dark sea and sky, with only fishing boats' hazy lights dotting the horizon. "But tonight is supposed to be fun. Where's Party Mitch?"

"He'll show up at the bar."

Maria's lips curled into a smile, which she turned away to shield. As they arrived at the dirt road, she slipped her flip-flops on and peered at the ocean once more. The familiar restaurant reappeared in minutes along with everyone but Tom. She and Mitch sat alongside their friends at a table with nearly empty glasses and plates.

"Look at you two." Emma tilted her head to him. "Disappearing together, and the night hasn't even started."

"It's not like that," Maria muttered.

After paying their bills, the group wandered to a bar in the opposite direction of her beach stroll. Tom joined them partway there, finding her straight away.

"I'm sorry I upset you." Tom attempted to make eye contact at the expense of stumbling over ruts in the dirt road. "I didn't mean you when I was talking, and I forgot about your ex being judgmental. I need to think before I speak."

Maria smiled weakly. "It's okay, Tom."

"No, it's not." The creases in his forehead deepened. "You wanted to enjoy Samet, and I'm ruining it by bringing up painful memories. It's like my first trip here."