New People and an Accident

I've been woken up by mom and I groggily got up. I yawned and stretched, sleeping on this is not very comfortable but it's better than on the hay.  

It has been a couple of days now since we stayed with the Greene family. Nothing has really changed as I played around their property. Dad says that he almost got the truck fixed, so we might be leaving sometime today.

I've met with more members of the family and they seemed nice. Sometimes if I'm bored, I go over to them to see if I can help out with anything. Like collecting the eggs from the chicken coop and giving the farm animals food and water.

I climbed down the ladder and noticed two people, a man and a little girl sleeping. I looked at them curiously. They weren't here before yesterday, so they might've been here when we were asleep.

I shrugged and went out of the barn with mom. I looked over and dad is still working on the truck. I also see Shawn putting down some wooden planks. Curious, I walked over to him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Well, I don't know if you know but... I'm going to be fortifying this fence to keep out whatever's out there."

"Like some animals?"

"No, there's these people I guess... eating each other." He shuddered. "It's all over the news. Got to be prepared, you know?"

I gave a puzzling look. It didn't sound so real, people committing cannibalism...

"Is there a group of them? The cops will get rid of those bad guys!" I shouted determined. Yeah, this will get solved in no time. The good guys always win!

He sighed, "I don't think they'll be able to. It's gotten worse these past few days." He paused, "Did you ever see one?"

I shook my head. "No, but I think I saw some of the bodies on the way here."

"Well let me tell you, you wouldn't want to see one of those things."

I nodded, "Do you need any help with the fence?" I asked eagerly.

"Not right now, but maybe after your dad gets the truck fixed he'll help out as well. In the meantime, I'm gonna have to build behind that tractor over there." He said, pointing at it.

I looked at the small red tractor. I've seen dad drive them around sometimes. He even said he'll teach me when I get older!

"Can I drive the tractor?!" I grinned.

"Sure, do you know how?"

"Not really, I've seen dad drive it. I've even rode with him one time!"

"Well, then I'll teach you. So that you can familiarize yourself." He gave me a smile.

"Awesome!" I jumped in with glee. I turned around and saw dad heading into the barn. I ran towards it.

Once I made it to the barn, I clutched onto the door seeing dad.

"Dad, we're gonna build a fence! There's a tractor and everything!" I shouted and then went towards mom who was sitting on some hay.

"Mom! Dad and I are gonna help build a fence!"

"Really? Well that's very nice, sweetie."

I nodded and looked towards the barn. I see dad walking out with those two people. He's walking a little too slow, taking his time. He should be excited about what we're going to do!

"DAAAD!" I shouted to tell him to hurry up.

"Not so loud, Ducky. I'm sure he heard you just fine." I heard mom say.