Your Local Psychopath

Chapter 19

Sam

Today is a lazy day. Rain is pouring outside the open window. It brings freshness and it falls in gentle waves. I lean against the couch and flip through channels on the big television. A soft knock pulls me from my haze. I head toward the door with a smile but it is quickly replaced once I see nana standing there with a long bright blue rain jacket on her body.

"Can we talk?" She speaks slowly and curt. It is not a question but a polite request. I sigh and open the door wider. I had the condo to myself. Miranda and Nathalie left earlier to finalize things with the wedding. We head into the living room and I take a seat in my original spot and turn off the television.

"I may have overstepped the other night." Nana starts. "I do not wish to dictate your life. I'm not here to judge your sexuality. Times is different." I open my mouth to respond but she cuts me off. I frown. "However." She holds for a second as if she is trying to find the right words. "I do not understand why you are risking your family over someone like Miranda Grayson. She doesn't deserve your kindness or love, Sam."

I clench my jaw. "You don't even know her nana. What happened at mom house during Christmas was a shit show but we worked through it. We went to counseling. I just don't understand why you can't be happy for me."

At this moment my eyes are burning with tears. I didn't see my nana much because of where she chose to live but she was there for me and my mom when my dad decided to check out. She was my other parent.

"Mom is okay with it." I push further. "Uncle Matt too. I don't care about the others but I want your blessing too."

"Your mother is naive and Uncle Matt is an idiot." Nana replies while sitting elegantly on the couch. I roll my eyes. "You're a beautiful woman, Sam. Intelligent and driven. You are everything I wanted my daughter to be. Miranda Grayson will destroy you."

I narrow my eyes. She did not have the right to say that. She continues, "Your mother will rather see you sink and be happy than face reality. Life is too short, Sam. You have your whole life ahead of you. Now you're a step-mother of two. I see how attached you are to Piper. What will you do when Miranda decides to leave once again? Taking Piper along with her."

My heart clenched at the thought. I open my mouth to say 'Miranda wouldn't ever do that to me' but I stop myself. Nana stares at me as if she can read my mind. I look away annoyed and suddenly angry.

She didn't have the right to come here and say these things.

Nana approaches me and gives my shoulder a light squeeze. I look at her once again and a few tears fall down my cheek. She wipes them away and pulls me into a hug. "I love you so much." She tells me. "I just want the best for you."

I choose not to say anything more. Doubt is clouding my mind. Nana and I decided to catch a movie and get lunch. It's still a rainy day but it fits my mood perfectly. I pretend that I'm not bothered in the slightest but I am sad.

Angry.

I bid my grandma a farewell and she kisses my forehead and tells me she loves me again. I walk into the condo and power up the game. I turn the volume all the way up and get lost in shooting the enemies away. I don't even hear Miranda until she is stepping in front of the television with her arms crossed.

"Damn Miranda." I hiss. "I'm eliminated now."

Miranda turns slightly and glances at the screen with her eyebrow arched in confusion. She steps away and comment, "I will never understand this barbaric game. You're wasting your potential."