Family Means Everything

Chapter 18

Sam

Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me. I groan annoyed and pull the expensive sheets over my naked body. "Sammy. Sammy." I could hear small steps rushing down the hall. Before I could prepare myself, the door is being pushed open. "Wake up." A small body falls onto my body. "Momma said get up. Now." Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again.

Piper is sitting on top of me fully dressed. Her hair is pulled up and into an elegant bun with a beautiful Silver bow that matches her silver dress. "You look fancy." I say.

"I am a graceful Princess." Piper replies.

I chuckle and toss her off me playfully. She falls beside me not so gracefully, her back on the bed and her legs waggling wild in the air. She rolls over and pushes herself up. "Hey." She shouts. "You mess up my hair."

I laugh and sit fully up, careful to not let the sheets fall off my naked body. "My apologies your majesty. Go tell the Queen I'll be ready in a second."

Piper pushes out her lip and narrow her eyes and damn she looks like Nathalie and Miranda in one. It's oddly adorable and scary. However, she jumps off the bed in a non-graceful manner and runs down the hall screaming Miranda name.

I take my time while taking advantage of the silence and prepare myself for a long day. Graduation is approaching soon, and my mother is throwing me a celebration party.

She invited everyone.

Including my grandmother.

My mother is so naïve and when she called happily to inform me that everyone in the family is coming I knew they only wanted to be nosy. Since Christmas, we all purposely avoided family gatherings and holidays.

The door to the bathroom is pushed open. Goodbye silence. "Sam." Miranda's voice is stern, and the velvet voice pulls me away from my thoughts. "If you're not ready soon I'm going to strangle you."

I pull back the luxurious shower curtains. Jesus. Everything in this freaking condo is expensive as hell. "What will you tell my family?" I joke with a charming smile.

Miranda stands there in a power suit with her arms folded. She looks piss. I guess she's not in the mood to joke around. I step out the shower and quickly dry before walking into the bedroom to throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt. "You're not wearing that." I tell her. "And Piper is going to change also."

Miranda narrowed her eyes before glancing herself over again in the mirror. "Excuse me?" She questions.

"This is not an upscale dinner, Miranda. It's in my mother backyard." I explain. "Piper is going to be uncomfortable and unable to have fun with the other kids." I pause and look her up and down again. "And you look like you're about to go take someone company. This isn't war."

"This is war, Sam." Miranda cuts me off. "I will not let your grandmother ridicule me again."

I kiss her lips softly, "I can handle nana." I kiss her again. "Change."

Miranda huffs and I almost laugh at her pout, but I control myself. She turns away and walks into her closet that is the size of a master bedroom. I walk out of the bedroom and down the hall to find Piper in the kitchen desperately trying to clean the juice stain on her dress.

She looks up at me in panic. "Mama's gonna kill me."

I pick her up. "It's okay." I kiss her forehead. "Come on." We walk into her room and she switches out of her dress and stands in her undies.