Mom

Chapter 14

Miranda

I impatiently shift from foot to foot. I narrow my eyes at one of the employees. "What is taking so long?" I hiss annoyed. I was not the type of woman to wait. The smell in this place was making me sick to my stomach. I needed coffee but I wouldn't dare touch that machine in the corner.

"She will be done soon." The nurse answer.

I scoff and turn away dramatically. Piper is getting her yearly check-up and she wanted me to come along. However, since I wasn't her legal guardian I couldn't go into the room with her. I pace back and forth. I know doctor appointments is important but Piper deserve the best.

I look around the clinic disappointed. This wasn't the best. I hear a giggle and when I turn around I cannot control the bright smile that light up my face. Piper rush toward me with a blow pop in her mouth and a bandaid on her finger.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" I pull her in a hug before pulling her up into the air and in my arms. She pulls the sticky candy out her mouth and pout, "It hurt." She shows me her wounded finger that is wrapped in a spiderman band-aid. "But, I was brave and only cried a little."

I kiss both of her cheeks and she giggle and wiggle in my arms. "That's my girl." I say to her. I put her back down and the doctor walk toward me with a gentle smile. She is tall and her brown skin glow along with her bright smile.

"Your daughter is a big girl. Very brave." The doctor say. "You don't have to stand out here. Next time you should come inside."

"I'm not the legal guardian." I whisper as I watch Piper pull a pair of plastic gloves onto her hand. I chuckle at her wild antics. They were obviously too big. "I'm working on it."

"Well. I am Dr. Barnes and Piper is healthy." She throw out her hand for me to shake. "I cannot release any personal details but you have nothing to worry about. She is strong."

"Thanks."

Piper and I head to the car and I strap her into the seat. She speaks about her visit to the doctor and how she is excited to see the twins. "It's been forever." She pouts. "But, I've been patient."

"Yes, you have. I'm proud of you." I tell her. It's only been seven days but each time is harder than the last.

I hate letting her go.

We finally make it to Joy house and Piper hurry out her seat before jumping out the car and running through the grass toward the door. "Slow down." I shout after her. I grab her Adventure Time bag and make my way toward the door. Piper is knocking her small fist onto the door. I shake my head because she couldn't control her excitement.

"What is taking so long?" Piper ask with a pout on her lips.

I laugh and run my fingers through her hair. The door finally open and Piper eyes light up before she frown in confusion. "What are you doing here?" Piper questions before I can speak myself.

Diane smile but greets me instead. "Hello Miranda."

I narrow my eyes and look Diane up and down. She gives me a polite smile but she look as confused as me. "Where is Joy?" I ask.

Diane softly call for Joy and the other woman come to the door and say, "Miranda. It's a surprise to see you."

I arch my eyebrow. "I text you two hours ago."

Piper pull on my pants leg and she huff impatient.

Joy blushes embarrassed. "Sorry. I haven't looked at my phone. I've been busy..." She trails off her face turning a dark shade of red.