Happy Place

Miranda:

I stand in my office and stare out the window in defeat. I clench my jaw. I have never felt this way before. Never. Not when my parents disowned me, not when my husband divorced me, and not even when Sam looked me in the face and said she wanted to break-up.

However, when I had to look Piper in the face and tell her she couldn't stay I was over-whelmed with defeat. I bawl my fist and shake away my negative thoughts. I turn around and take in the empty office. Austin and the others decided to leave hours ago. I knew for a fact that Austin was worried about my emotions.

I turn away and begin to make a few calls. I was going to do everything in my power to get Piper into my home as quick as possible. After two conversations with insignificant men who couldn't count to ten I was getting a call myself.

"Yes." I answer my patience very short.

"Miranda Grayson?" I recognize the voice immediately. "This is Maddie from the Piper's foster home..."

"Yes." I say impatiently. "I know who you are Maddie."

I can hear shifting nervously on the other end of the phone. "I'm calling to inform you that Piper is missing? Is there any chance that you may have her..."?

Everything around me stand still. I hurry to my feet and pace the office hoping that I heard wrong. "What did you just say to me?"

"Is there any chance that Piper may be with...."

I cut her off. "Your ignorance is making my blood boil. Where is my daughter?" I hiss.

"Um." Maddie replies. "We do not know. We were hoping that she was with you."

"Hoping..." I sneer. "You lost a child in this big city and you were hoping she was with me..."

"Miranda..."

I hang up the phone. My heart is pounding so hard that it hurts. I hurry out the office everything passing me in a blur. I get into my car and speed off. I arrive to the foster home and walk inside. Maddie squeaks in fear when she sees me.

I storm my way towards the head office but someone hand stops me. "Remove your hand or I will cut it off." I threaten.

"I'm sorry ma'am but you cannot go into the office. There is an important meeting with the policemen inside regarding a missing child." The man explains.

"That child is mine." I scowl. He steps back in fear and hurry to open the door. "Where is Piper?" I question walking deeper into the office. The policemen stop their chattering and look my way.

"Miranda." The woman in the corner is the first to speak. "We are currently doing all we can to find Piper whereabouts..."

I turn away. They were all useless. A waste. I pace the front lawn and dial Sam number. It doesn't take long before she is answering. I can hear Austin and Rose in the background. I tell Sam immediately that Piper is missing and the more I explain the more I can feel the panic within my bones.

We need to find her.

I don't know how long I am pacing back and forth on the front lawn but Sam and the others soon arrive. Sam find me first and pull me into a deep embrace. "We need to find Piper." I tell her.

"We will." Sam reply. She pulls her hair up into a high ponytail. She is wearing her running gear. I would appreciate the view if I wasn't in such a dreadful mood. Sam walk into the foster home and someone tries to stop her. She removes his hand nicely and continue inside. I look at him with murder in my eyes and he look away.