Fireworks & Hearts

Chapter 8

Sam

I bury myself underneath my blankets and desperately try to ignore the banging outside my door. "Sam." The voice screams. "Seriously, get up." I groan and pull the pillow over my head and ignore Rose screams of terror. What could possibly be going on at this time of morning. "It's Miranda."

I shoot up quickly and almost fall out the bed. I catch myself and hurry to open the door. "What?" I question with sleep still in my voice. Rose looked frantic and her hair is pulled up into a high ponytail. She is wearing a short sleeve shirt and it showed off her tattoos with a pair of jean shorts. Rose shifts from one foot to the other. "Austin called me and told me to tell you to come to the office immediately."

I frown and try to shut my door but Rose foot catches it. I roll my eyes, "I can't just waltz into Miranda building anymore. We're not together remember." I remind her and myself. Rose roll her eyes and brush past me. "Austin is your friend." She reminds me. "And he needs your help. It has something to do with the twins birthday." Rose throw me a shirt and some pants. "That's today by the way."

I couldn't argue with that. I had a soft spot for the twins. I hurry and dress on my off day and we head to her car. Once the doors shut she drives off heading towards Mirana building. Rose fingers is tapping nervously against the steering wheel. She's never like this. "What's going on?" I question her.

"What?" Rose snaps back to reality. "Nothing."

I arch my eyebrow at this. "Rose. Come on. I thought we were better than this."

She run her fingers through her hair, "I just want today to be perfect." She say.

I nod. Rose has missed a few of the twins birthday and I guess she wanted today to be very special for them. "The twins will love you no matter what, Rose. Showing up and being there is enough."

Rose squeezes the wheel and nod her head. "Right." She chuckles nervously. "You're right." I narrow my eyes because that didn't seem to convince her

We finally arrive to Miranda building. We park and quickly head inside. We walk towards security and one of the men in uniform smiles politely towards me. "It's been a while. How are you?" He questions.

"I'm great." I answer. "How's your daughter. Is she liking middle school?"

"She love it too much." He smiles but then frown. "I believe she's developed a crush for some boy. She's growing up too fast."

I chuckle and say, "It will be fine. She's a smart girl."

He smiles and give me a nod before we continue walking towards the elevators. Rose look at me and roll her eyes again. "I can't just waltz into Miranda office my ass." I choose to ignore her comment. The elevator comes to a halt and the doors slide open. I take a step out first and everyone is running around and brushing past me and Rose. We walk further down the hall and into another part of the building.

Five defeated heads look towards me and Rose.

"Finally." Austin shouts. "You're here."

"Who is she?" One of the others speak.

"Someone who is going to save your career." Austin respond with more bite in his tone than usual. "Sam I know I told you that I would stop using you to get ahead with Miranda but this is important and it's for the twins."

I roll my eyes at that. "What do you need?"

"I have the impossible cake Miranda asked for but she wants it in thirty minutes. The designers is still finishing the final touch ups. The cake won't arrive to Joy house until four-thirty."