How Am I Suppose To Handle You Being So Far Away?

Chapter 1

Sam

I fiddle with my fingers and shift several times. Nathalie glances at me and squeeze my hand for support. "I don't think I can do this." I stand. Everyone at the table look at me curiously and people around the restaurant look at me oddly. Nathalie hand is still connected to mine. She gradually stands with me ignoring the prying eyes.

"Hey." She whispers. "It's going to be fine. This is the easy part..." She mutters. She gives me the best encouraging smile and I know deep down she's breaking inside also. I knew Nathalie like Nicolaus Copernicus knew the stars that would navigate him back home.

Nathalie loved unconditionally and the way her lip twitched in the corner and how she would twist her ring on her finger every now and then meant she was nervous. I knew this the same way her eyes would sparkle when she saw something beautiful, how she would twirl her hair when she was embarrassed, and how she would chew her lip when she had something important to say.

I knew she was making the biggest sacrifice of her life. She's always sacrificing for me. No matter what. "I love you." I tell her. She gives me a smile and I continue to rant. "I do." I push. "I really do."

"They are perfect." The lady at the table smile. She is speaking to her husband. I swallow and slowly take a seat.

"Sorry." I mutter. "Nerves."

Nathalie gives me one more encouraging squeeze and the woman sitting across from me say, "Alright. Now. Tell me why we should give you the job." I smile and begin to speak about my passion towards architecture and how I would be a promising member to the team. I use Nathalie compassion to win them over but speak with confidence like Miranda.

Confidence would ooze out her like a Queen. The way she would hold your gaze and keep your attention as she earn your respect. She always would give me a lesson or two in the bedroom while we're laying around being lazy. She's either typing away on her computer or reading a novel. I'm usually designing on my laptop or watching the top shows. "Jeez can someone take the throne already." She would mutter and I would huff in aggravation at how it's not that easy. Then, she would take off her glasses and ponder on the thought while staring at the television before saying, "I would have taken the throne by now. Change the hideous thing, nonetheless it will all be mine." I would groan and she would lift up and kiss me sweetly. "Just as you are." She would whisper against my lips. "Mine."

Miranda. I think.

"Sorry." I clear my throat snapping out of my memory. I begin to move and I grab my laptop before putting it on the table. I slide it around and show my personal portfolio of my designs and projects. The both of them nod impress. I smile and after dessert the wife says, "I think you're the perfect person for the job."

Nathalie pulls me into a hug excited and I hug her back. The wife claps in happiness, "Just too cute. Ah. Young love." She bends over and kisses her husband on the lips softly. I finally open my eyes and as I look behind Nathalie shoulder I could see the Queen herself. I say her name without hearing myself. But, Nathalie pulls back in concern and look at me.

Walking upon the table is Miranda Grayson herself. She is wearing a red graceful dress that stuck to her skin like glue. Her hair was in deep curls that stopped at her shoulders. It was longer now. She had a expensive diamond bracelet on her wrist and a simple diamond necklace around her neck. She approaches the table and my heart beats against my chest.

She has everyone else attention in the restaurant and I'm almost upset at their lingering stare but this was Miranda Grayson, the woman who steals the eyes of everyone in the room.